Sometimes the power button is hard to press, or you want to save protect the hardware power button for longer use. This app and provided notification/widget can save you from accessing the power button all the time.
1. By detecting p-sensor, automatically turn on/off the screen for you.
2. Allows you to only enable the function during charging.
3. Allows you to disable the feature when the screen is rotated.
4. You can set separate timeout values for screen on/off delay to prevent from accidentally triggering the feature.
5. A widget is supported to quickly toggle the function.
6. Notification is supported to quickly toggle function, or directly turn screen off.
7. NEW Power Save Mode: works on some devices. Try if it works for YOU!
8. Play sound or vibrate while close.
0. Modify Settings in "Auto Screen Settings" app and enable the function
1. Add widget "AutoScreenOnOff" to your home screen
2. Press once on the icon to trigger Device Management Confirmation Dialog.
3. Agree to activate device management. (This is required to turn off the screen)
4. Now everything should work now. Try cover your hand over the top area of the screen (where the proximity sensor might be located) to see if it works.
- Since it uses proximity sensor to detect whether the screen should be on or off, this may use some power consumption. So, if you are not using your device for a long time, suggest you turning off the function.
- If you wants to uninstall the app, please do it from top of the app.
Translation Helps from:
Hai Long Hoang: Vietnamese
WebFrogeye : French
Ján Kučera: Slovak
Xander Stone: Dutch
ps. If you have any suggestions, questions, bug reports, or you are willing to help translate strings, please send me email. firstname.lastname@example.org
Smart screen ON is an innovative app which turns your proximity sensor into a power button. If you have a big phone with no physical button on the front(Galaxy Nexus for example, you can turn on or turn off the phone just tapping or waving your hand (finger) on proximity sensor.
When you change the settings, remember saving and restarting service using built in app specific button.
There are two mode available, both mode can coexist:
Wave (move) your hand/finger on proximity sensor, even without touching it.
You can set the amount of waves you want to use to turn on/off screen and the time between each wave.
Do you want to wave your hand quickly or slowly?
+TAP AND SWIPE MODE:
1) Tap proximity sensor using your finger;
2) Wait for the first vibration;
3) Swipe (remove) quickly your finger, before it vibrates for the second time.
You can set the time before the first and the second vibration.
You can also disable sensor after an amount of time you can set in the app panel.
The app will disable the whole service and proximity sensor after X time of inactivity.
A)Smart Screen ONs;
B)Smart Screen OFFs;
C)Total power button saves;
D)The power used by your proximity sensor (which is very very low).
+START ON BOOT
If you check this, the app will start on boot.
If you hide the icon, the app could be instable and could be killed by Android in low memory conditions.
+ENABLE FOR TURNING SCREEN OFF
The app has been created to turn screen off, but I also give you the ability to turn screen off.
+DISABLE WHEN LANDSCAPE
The sensor will stop working when landscape.
-HTC Desire HD is not compatible with "wave mode" because its proximity sensor doesn't work as it should.
It's hard to believe but this app can solve these issues by liberating you from the usage of the power button.
It turns automatically your screen off when you put your phone into your pocket or onto a table and turn the screen on when you take it out or up. No need to touch any button and you are ready to go.
HOW TO UNINSTALL?
Use the UNINSTALL button in the app.
HOW IT WORKS
It monitors the orientation of the device through the gravity sensor. When your phone is pointing downward by its top, below a certain angle, it's likely to be out of use. In this situation the proximity sensor is activated to determine if it is covered. If yes, it turns the screen off because probably you placed the phone into your pocket or onto a table. To keep the battery usage low the program turns on the proximity sensor only when it's really necessary. Moreover, when it turns your screen off and the proximity sensor is covered it puts your phone into deep sleep state to save as much energy as possible.
- Pocket Sensor: Recognizes if your phone is in your pocket.
- Table Sensor: Detects your phone is lying on a table.
- Turn Screen Off by Proximity: activates the proximity sensor before turning the screen off.
- Turn Screen On by Motion: If the screen is off and it's facing up the device can be woken up by any movements, for example by lifting up by hand. Usage of the power button can interferes with this option.
- Keep Screen On by Motion: It keeps the screen on by relying on the small movements you are doing by your hand while holding the phone. If motions are detected while the screen is facing up, it keeps the screen on because it can be suspected that the phone is held and probably you are reading something. If the phone is steady it will turn the screen off normally no matter the position you leave your device. It's especially helpful if your lock key is hard to reach or if the power button is broken.
- Tasker, Llama, Locale supported by plug-in.
IN-APP PURCHASE FEATURES
- Wider range in Table Sensor
- Turn Screen On by Motion Timeout can be set above 15 minutes
- Exclude Apps option: The app pauses itself anytime if selected app is running, it'll resume when you close the app. Useful when playing games etc.
- Widgets, PowerToggles plug-in
VERSIONS: FREE vs. PRO vs. UNLOCKED by IN-APP PURCHASE (recommended)
In the Pro version, there is no 15 minutes limit for turning the screen on by motion and the Table sensor can be set more precisely. Unlocked version has everything what Pro has, plus it has an Exclude App list, a more advanced Delayed lock option and Widgets.
It should be not significant. I experienced about 6 per cent extra consumption on the test device. However it can be much higher by often using the Turn Screen On by Motion feature. Thus, keep your phone face down if you want to save energy.
On some devices (e.g. HTC One) the alarm clock is switched off by the app after it had gone off! Please check if it's the case for you. If, yes, use a third party app, for example: http://goo.gl/Y55zBZ
Q: I'm experiencing high battery usage, why?
A: The app should use about 6 percent extra energy per day if you are not using too much the Turn Screen On by Motion feature, for example keeping your phone face down when it's on a table. Moreover, the android en-built battery consumption measurement can show much higher results if it's based on a short period of time.
More FAQ : http://goo.gl/D4BgQ5
Celebrate more 100000+ downloads.
I add new features again.
Feel the pain in the neck when pressing the power button?
Each time you open the screen, you must be tired with pressing the power button?
You can try this software that allows the screen to
Turn screen on by g-sensor
Turn screen on by proximity sensor
Turn screen on by touching the proximity sensor twice on the devices
Pause function by notification/shortcut/widget
Battery save for this app
Logging for working status
Auto Pause at sleeping time.
Auto Stop/Start at discharging/charging..(It can not work with "Auto Pause at sleeping time".)
Enable/disable record log.
If you use protective sleeve or protective cover,
you can wake up screen automatically whenever you open the protective cover or take out from the protective sleeve.
This application uses sensors to wake up the device.
For g-sensor(Reliability 90%+): When the screen is off, pick up the device horizontally, then the screen would auto wake up.
For proximity sensor(Reliability 95%+): When the screen is off, approach the sensor, then the screen would auto wake up.
G-sensor may need to connect the USB or power or to open Screen Off Wakelock to work properly. Otherwise, on some devices, press the volume keys beforehand to make the device leave deep sleep, and then it will turn auto screen on by picking up the device.
Proximity sensor even in deep sleep is also easy to wake up the device, so it is recommended to use.
Using the history to observe the failure of Auto Screen’s behavior.
Widget can start/pause/enable app. And if the app is killed by out of memory, it would let the app be restarted faster than normal situation.
1.there is no guarantee that the application can be used in every device.
2.Some of Samsung devices may not use g-sensor feature because it doesn't let g-sensor on in the screen-off.
3.Android 4.2 may not work properly.
Thanks for Gareth Lewis correcting English translation.
Thanks for Kayoko Sawada helping Japanese translation and correcting English translation.
Thanks for Arsham Mergasemi correcting English translation.
Thanks for Андрей Кравцов helping Russian language
Thanks for J.J.Ponce helping Spanish language
Thanks for Ozan Çakar (XanthiN) helping Turkish language
Thanks for Dario Della Giovanna helping Italian language
WARNING: The app hardly use any battery power. However, please note that while the screen is just in "off" state and NOT locked - the device would NOT go into deep sleep (power-saving mode) and WILL use a lot of battery power!
For Android 4.1+ (Jelly Bean): If you want to remove the status bar icon, go to Android Settings >> Apps >> Smart Screen and uncheck "Show notifications".
✔ Automatically wake up the device when you open the flip cover, take the device out of pocket/bag, etc.;
✔ Automatically turn the screen off when you close the flip cover, put the device in pocket/bag, etc. (as long as the sensor remains blocked) and optionally lock the device after set amount of time (to make the screen stay off, even if the sensor gets unblocked);
✔ Autostart on boot of the phone;
✔ Fully customizable.
Contact me if you want to help translate the app to your language.
TO UNINSTALL: You have to uncheck the "Device Administrator" option first!
AD SYSTEM: The app is ad-supported. Due to its nature of a background service which is used without a visible UI, it has a unique ad system, which may show an ad in the bottom of the screen after a use, but no more then once per day. Ads are shown for few seconds, have a button for instant dismissal and do not interrupt your activity in any way, other then just by being shown. By installing the app you agree to see those ads in the way described above. There is an "Ad-Free use" option available to people who support the development otherwise. Contact me for more information.
This app is developed by a single independent developer. If you like my work and want to support my efforts - please give it a 5 star rating and share it with your friends! You can also buy me a drink using the Donate option in the app! Thanks!
Most of the permissions are self-explanatory and are needed by the app's functionality or the ads.
The ACCOUNTS permission is needed to grant ad-free use to people who support the development otherwise.
ROOT is currently required if any ad-blocking is detected and the "Ad-free use" option is not checked.
No personal information is collected and/or sent whatsoever!
Please use the email for any questions and support! The store reviews are not meant for communication! Thanks!
**To uninstall the app, please go to the setting page and click the "Remove device administrator" button**
With over 2 million of users and over 30 languages support, Screen Off and Lock is the No.1 screen off application in Google Play Store.
Screen Off and Lock allows you to switch off your devices from:
1. Launcher shortcut
2. Launcher widget 1x1 - 4x4, resizable in Android 4.0+ (Also available in lock screen for Android 4.2+) (Donate version)
4. Floating button over all apps! (Double tap to use it) (Donate version)
5. Search button (if your device has it)
1. Screen off animation (including the most famous Old TV style)
2. Screen lock/unlock sound effect
3. Screen off vibration
For those who cannot see the screen off animation even the app is reinstalled, please follow the procedures below:
Android 4.x: Go to "Setting > Developer options > Transition animation", and then select 1x for this option.
Android 2.x, Make sure you selected the option "All animations" under "Settings > Display > Animation".
Screebl, the battery saver keep your screen on wunderkind, works based on a simple observation: we generally hold our phones or tablets in roughly the same positions when we're using them. Screebl uses the sensors in your mobile device to detect how you're holding it, and when your device is within a configurable range, the screen is kept on. Move out of that range, and Screebl releases the lock and the screen is allowed to go off. Using gravity, screen orientation, and other cues, your screen is kept on when it should be, and turned off when you don't need it. It's simple, but it works amazingly well!
How is Screebl a battery saver? Well, it's simple. On most phones, the screen is the single largest consumer of battery power. With Screebl running you can reduce the average amount of time that your screen is on by only keeping it on when you're ACTUALLY using your phone. The amount of savings can vary significantly by device and usage patterns, but it is not uncommon for users to see savings of 20% or more. See our web site for more details.
★ "Screebl is ingenious..." -- KnowYourMobile.com
★ "Screebl also helps you extend your battery life..." -- AndroidAuthority.com
★ "Screebl is a far more effective way to utilize our screen timeouts..." -- Android Spin.com
★ "Works out of the box..." -- AndroidTap.com
★ "Screebl offers an intelligent solution to the problem of screen control..." -- AndroidGuys.com
★ "Excellent customization..." -- Phandroid.com
✓ PocketLock locks your phone when you put it into your pocket, unlocks when you take it out
✓ AppExceptions let you turn Screebl off when selected apps are running in the foreground
✓ Locale Plug-ins and Tasker integration provide automated control and customization of Screebl
✓ Look-and-feel customization lets you make Screebl look the way YOU want
✓ Better detection algorithms
✓ Screen timeout set from Screebl
RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED - Needed to a start Screebl when phone starts up.
INTERNET - Needed to check for new instructional videos and submit debugging information.
WAKE_LOCK - Needed to keep the screen on.
WRITE_SETTINGS - Needed to update system settings related to screen timeouts.
GET_TASKS - Needed to disable Screebl when selected apps are running (AppExclusions).
BILLING - Needed to allow in-app upgrade of Screebl Lite to Pro.
READ_PHONE_STATE - Needed to check phone state (e.g., in-call, speakerphone on, etc.) to provide in-call behavior (e.g., disable Screebl or lock screen on)
✓ Some phones do NOT deliver sensor events when the screen is off. Examples include some HTC phones, some Sony Xperia phones, and quite a few Motorola phones. PocketLock may not work properly on these phones. See this link for more info: http://www.saltwebsites.com/2012/android-accelerometers-screen-off
✓ PocketLock sometimes causes battery drain on some devices. The effect of the PocketLock feature varies widely from one device to another. The longer that you have PocketLock monitor for removal from your pocket, the more power used. Most devices see a minor increase in power consumption when using PocketLock (4-8%).
✓ Stillness detection doesn't detect small movements on some devices. A few devices have coarse-grained sensors, and movement is not detected well, causing unwanted stillness timeouts. I am working on a fix for this that will be in an upcoming release. Most phones are fine.
✓ Screebl doesn't start when the phone is powered-on. On some HTC phones the "fastboot" capability can cause problems with Screebl starting at power-on. I've done my best to fix this, but it still is a problem on some HTC devices. Screebl must NOT be moved to SD storage.
And widget, locks your phone with one click.
Reduces use of the power button.
Turns off screen fast.
You will not find a better program than this to lock and unlock the screen :-)
It works ! See videos:
First & Best This is the very first App on Google play to utilize the sensors for on and off functions. Has been developed many years ago. All other apps are made after this one. And I have been a big fan of it since it's creation. Plus it just WORKS. Simply
All I can say is THANK YOU!! I just place my hand or wave it near the top of my phone and it goes to sleep....and when it's asleep (black screen) I just place my hand or wave it across the top front and oila! It wakes up! Thank you for taking the time and your skills to create this app for android peeps. It's MUCH appreciated! TEN STARS!!!
1) Turn off the screen by screen off icon
2) Turn off the screen by Covering the sensor for a duration of time (Tap and Hold)
3/- Don't screen on after screen Off
4/- NO Timer Delay
Lock screen in anywhere！
Touch the suspended icon to lock screen, completely liberate the power button.
Please assign Auto-lock right to Lock screen.
We are so sorry that a lot of users are haunted by the problem of unable to uninstall. Actually, there is no problem about uninstalling Lock Screen. Because of the Android OS, you need to deactivate ‘Lock Screen’ before you uninstall it.
You can uninstall in the Setting of Lock Screen or uninstall it by following operation: click "Settings—>Security—>Device administrators" to shut off Lock screen.
Please let me know if you meet any bugs or want any improvement!
*Screen on when charge option
With Shake Screen-on, you can Open the screen with a shake or two other ways! Maybe better than use power key.
Shake Screen-On provider three way to open screen .
1.shake -- shake you cellphone
2.Near receiver -- touch you cellphone receiver
3.flip -- flip you phone.
This application requires you device hardware support. if it can't work on you device. please tell me, or uninstall it.
It offers five options,
1) Keep the current brightness (Don't dim)
2) Allow to Dim
Allows the screen to dim but will not allow it to lock.
3) Increase brightness to MAX
4) Decrease brightness to MIN
5) Set the custom brightness
Please update to version 1.1.1
Tags: reduce brightness, adjust brightess, dim, stay awake, screen unlock, always on
Smart Screen on/off with sensors..Please watch youtube video.
Long life time for on/off button with 'Close It'. It works with sensors or a widget.
Change Ringer Mode,
Select Flight Mode,
Shutdown or Restart phone (for Rooted phone only)
Note: You need free ram for application to stabile work
Long life time for on/off button with 'Close It' widget..
11 in 1 only one application. Please watch youtube video before use..
1. Screen off with proximity sensor
2. Screen off accelerometer sensor (Shake)
3. Screen off with reverse mode
4. Screen on with proximity sensor
5. Screen on with accelerometer sensor (Shake)
6. Mute incoming call with upside down phone
7. Screen off phone with widget or shortcut
8. Shutdown Phone (for ROOTed phone only)
9. Restart Phone (for ROOTed phone only)
10. Flight mode on / off
11. Select ringer mode (Silent,Vibrate,Sound)
- Remove and add Device Admin permission easly from setup menu
- Easly Uninstall from own menu
Important : to use sensors, Close It must be run as a service on your phone, if you dont want this (off course 6 properties will not work) you can use just a widget for sleep mode..
If you want to support me, just click ad from menu..
Note: For uninstall please open and slide bottom of "Close It" menu after you can see uninstall choice!!
or watch youtube video!!
Tags : smart screen on/off,Lock Screen Widget, Close It,Close Screen,lock screen with proximity sensor, lock screen with accelerometer sensor, wake up screen with proximity sensor, wake up screen with accelerometer sensor, mute incoming call,
If you have screen off problem in Android 4.0.4, please enable the option below.
(Settings > Useful Features > Android 4.0.4 Bug Patch)
※ Android 2.2 (Froyo) and over
Do you want a Quick, Easy, Convenient *Screen On/Off* ?
If pressing the power button is very much to screen on/off, the power button will cause damage.
To screen on/off, don't press the power button any more !
You will experience the various and amazing screen-on/off features !
If you use a phone case with cover, just close the cover to turn screen off. and open the cover to turn screen on. Just put the phone in your pocket to turn screen off. and take the phone out from your pocket to turn screen on.
In screen unlock mode, you can also use without lock screen whenever screen on.
You can also expand the status bar easily by touching the widget or flipping the phone.
You can see the clock anywhere by shaking the phone. It's more useful for full screen app(game, DMB, camera, video, etc.).
★ It's more convenient if you use together with my other applications below.^^
* Smart Screen Off
* Smart Answer Call
* Smart Switch Anywhere
* Rainbow Clock Widget (NEO)
[ How to Use ]
★ Screen-Off(Poximity) + Screen-On(Poximity)
- Just put the phone in your pocket to turn screen off. and take the phone out from your pocket to turn screen on.
- If you use a phone case with cover, just close the cover to turn screen off. and open the cover to turn screen on.
★ Screen-Off(Flip) + Screen-On(Poximity)
- Just put the phone upside down on your desk to turn screen off. and grab the phone up from your desk to turn screen off.
★ Screen-Off(Shake) + Screen-On(Shake)
- Just shake the phone to turn screen off. and shake the phone again to turn screen on.
★ Screen-Off(Poximity) + Screen-On(Shake)
- Just put the phone in your pocket to turn screen off. and shake the phone after taking the phone out from your pocket to turn screen on.
There are so many interesting solution due to how to set as you want.
[ Major Features ]
◆ How to Screen-Off ◆
1. Screen-Off by Widget
2. Screen-Off by Notification
3. Screen-Off by Flip
4. Screen-Off by proximity
5. Screen-Off by Shaking
◆ How to Screen-On ◆
1. Screen-On by Proximity
2. Screen-On by Shaking
◆ Screen Lock/Unlock ◆
In screen unlock mode, you can use phone without lock screen whenever screen on.
◆ Expand StatusBar ◆
1. Expand statusBar by Widget
2. Expand statusBar by Flip
◆ Show Clock ◆
1. Digital Clock by Shaking
2. Analog Clock by Shaking
◆ FlashLight ◆
1. FlashLight On/Off by Widget
2. FlashLight On/Off by Shaking
◆ System Overlay ◆
1. Battery ProgressBar
2. Screen-Off Overlay Icon
◆ Useful Features ◆
1. Change Widget Color
2. Show StatusBar Icon
3. Enable Proximity in Landscape
4. Screen-Off Alert
5. Screen-On Alert
6. Shaking Alert
◆ Sensor Sensitivity ◆
1. Sensor Latency Time (Flip & Proximity)
2. Proximity Sensitivity
3. Shaking Sensitivity
[ Caution ]
★ To prevent killing app by system, recommend to set 'Show StatusBar Icon' to 'ON'.
★ To minimize battery drain, the Screen-Off features drive the sensor only when the screen is turned on. But the Screen-On features drain the battery more because the sensor must continues to be driven even after the screen is turned off.
Ability to prevent screen from turning off when charging.
Keep screen on at system's brightness or dimmed.
Turn off the screen based on close proximity.
Ability to keep screen on when selected app is running and user is looking at the screen (camera is used to determine the presence of the user). This feature requires Android of version 4.0+ and a front-facing camera.
There is an application widget for quick service turn on/off.
PLEASE DONATE IF YOU LIKE THE APP - WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORT WE COULDN'T MAKE IT BETTER
-On Android >= 4.2 Check the Android 4.2 compatibility.
-Download and test LITE version, and make sure it works BEFORE buying this PRO version.
-THE APP DOESN'T LOCK YOUR PHONE (on Android <= 4.1), NO SECURITY! Don't download if you want security on!!!!
(Light sensor combo works great with recent smartphones like Galaxy Nexus; Light sensor combo could not work good with old smartphone, because the built in sensor is of poor quality).
If you use TIMER DELAY + LIGHT SENSOR: Timer delay will start every times the proximity sensor is covered, but it will turn off screen only when is reached the "minimum + sensitivity" of light condition you set in the settings.
- If you use Task Killers or Memory Cleaner, remember to add Smart Screen Off to exceptions!
************* USER GUIDE ***************
************ PRO FEATURES *************
At the moment the PRO version includes these features:
- Start on Boot
- Disable when in LandScape mode
- Vibrate when screen is turned OFF
- Vibrate when screen is turned ON
- Hide Icon
- Hide Notification Messages
- Enable/Disable on shake
- Don't screen on after screen Off
- Configurable light sensor combo
- Configurable Timer Delay
- Display clock when screen is turned ON
- Available in several languages
- Set ring to vibrate mode when proximity sensor is covered
- Tell me your suggestion :) !
************ DESCRIPTION *************
Smart Screen Off PRO it's a simple and light app which uses the Proximity Sensor built in your Android smartphone to turn the screen off and on automatically.
************** REASON ****************
I decided to code this app when I bought my Galaxy Nexus: this device doesn't have any physical button on the front screen. Being a quite huge phone, it's quite difficult to press the "turn off" button every time I wanted to turn it off and on. So I needed a way to turn the screen off every time I put it into the pockets and off when removed.
************ HOW IT WORKS *************
The app itself is a toggle button, to switch it on just press the App Icon. Then every time you put the phone into your pockets the screen turns off.
If you put the smartphone upside down on the table, the screen turns automatically off.
NOTE: It doesn't lock the screen (just like in a call)
************ REQUIREMENTS *************
In order to use Smart Screen Off, you need to have a phone with Proximity Sensor and Light Sensor (nowadays every smartphone incorporate both).
Email me for any Improvement. Contact me if you have any problems and I will try to solve it as soon as possible!
More from developer
Watch the short video to see how it works. There are other similar apps, but we strongly believe ours is the best in terms of practicality and pure awesomeness.
We wanted to bring you something simple, but very useful and effective. Something you would enjoy using everyday with absolutely no side effects. There are battery saving options to minimise the impact on battery. We have steadily measured around 3% battery consumption for the whole day on our test devices.
We hope it works just as good on your phone.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
Unfortunately in some devices, the accelerometer sensor cannot be used when the screen is OFF. Awesome On will not work on these devices.
Please do not give a low rating if this is unfortunately the case.
Link to list of devices:
Android 4.0.4 and 4.1 Users - There is a well known bug that was introduced in 4.0.4 that causes the screen to turn on again after 'Awesome Off'. We recommend changing your lock screen to 'none' for the time being.
** Features **
- Simply tilt the phone up, to turn the screen on.
- Fling your hand 2 times, near the proximity sensor, to turn the screen off.
- Or simply click 'Screen Off' icon.
- Separate shortcut icons for 'Start/Stop', 'Settings' and 'Screen Off'.
- Awesome On Sensitivity.
- Awesome Off Sensitivity.
- Battery Saving Mode. Tip: Test first disabled.
- Remove notification option. And gracefully handles situations where Android restarts Awesome On Off when notification is removed.
- Disable Awesome Off while running landscape applications.
- While you're on a phone call, Awesome On Off will not be active.
- Aweseom On Bypass Non-Security Lockscreen option.
Ultimate Version Features
- The Ultimate feature. When you're about to hit the road, fling your hand 3 times (or simply click the 'Ultimate Off' shortcut icon) to turn the screen off. Awesome On Off is completely idle until you manually turn the screen on again. You never need to Start/Stop manually with the shortcut icon. You are in total control.
- Ultimate Off audio confirmation.
- Start on boot.
- No Ads. The Free version shows an Ad every 20th time the screen is turned on. You can easily close the Ad, should not be disruptive for daily use even with the free version.
About Battery Saving Mode
- When the screen is off, depending on the Battery level and type of background apps you have running, Android can decide to put the CPU to full sleep. Awesome On will not work when the CPU is in full sleep. When Battery Saving Mode is enabled, Awesome On Off will not interfere and let the CPU go to full sleep as usual. You can disable Battery Saving Mode completely or set a desired interval to keep the CPU partially awake, ensuring Awesome On will always work.
Now with ICS, you really want to use this feature a lot.
Strangely, it is not possible to create a shortcut to this, android does not expose it as an activity.
Get to it quicker, a lot quicker, I would recommend using it with Widgetsoid as shown in the video.
Apologies in advance for not making this free. I have a baby coming and would love to support him in anyway possible. Thanks.