More than 230 fossils from invertebrates and vertebrates: from sponges to sloths, from worms to dinosaurs
Revealing the incredible diversity of fossilised plants and animals preserved for millions of years, this app profiles more than 230 examples of the most common and fascinating fossils, using an entry-by-entry approach. By including examples from all of the major varieties of fossilised life, from preserved trees and grasses to molluscs, trilobites, fish and dinosaurs, Fossils offers a comprehensive overview of these remarkable relics from every continent and gives a sense of the huge amount of natural history available to us in the fossil record.
Each fossil is illustrated with a clear and informative colour photograph, accompanied by informed and accessible text. The fossilised plants and animals are arranged by group and then by order. For easy reference, each entry includes a table of information on scientific name, order and family, habitat, distribution and geological period.
Fossils is an ideal and handy reference guide for any collector.
• Each fossil is superbly illustrated with a colour photograph
• Information tables contain key data such as class, order, family, age, habitat and where the fossils are found
• Accessible text for each featured fossil
• Comprehensive index for easy reference
• Quick search functions by categories of stone
• Favourites section
• All data stored offline on your device's SD card. Internet connection only required for the first database download (ca. 48MB) or for database updating.
About the authors
CARL MEHLING (General Editor) is the Collections Manager for Fossil Reptiles, Amphibians and Birds at the American Museum of Natural History, New York.
DANIEL GILPIN studied zoology at Bristol University before becoming a professional natural history author. He has written more than 30 books.
PAULA HAMMOND has worked as an author, editor and publisher for more than 13 years. Much of her work has been on ecology and the natural world.
BRENDA RALPH LEWIS is a writer with more than 100 books on history, numerous magazine articles and television documentaries to her name.