Have you heard of the latest breach of private, personal online data? Millions of accounts, from countless websites, platforms and online services are hacked on a monthly basis. If you’re using social media, search engines, shop online or simply browse the web, it means that you’re producing a lot of personal, private data that is being stored and used by numerous companies – and a potential target for wrongdoers.
Are you tired of strangers cold-calling you to offer unrequested great-offers, even though you have no idea how they got your private contact data?
Being a customer of all these online platforms and companies that store your personal, private data and trying to keep track and control of all your data sometimes feels like the proverbial fight between David and Goliath. Our app aims to fix the issue of tracking and monitoring how major companies handle your personal, private data in a simple and efficient way.
With the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) under European Union laws, we now have the legal means to fight back for our online privacy and restore control over our own personal data.
We Are David was created out of our own necessity for tracking and taking back control of our personal data, getting it erased when it’s misused and claiming our lawful rights when it comes to online privacy. However, we believe that the more we are, the better chances we stand to fight Goliath, no matter what name that company has.
That is why we have released this app to the public and want to make it known to as many people as possible.
The app is work in progress and we are aiming to add more and more companies to whom you can make a request and see how much of your personal, private data they are storing. Whatever data a company has on you, it will be transferred to your personal We Are David app, making it easy for you to keep track, manage and erase it as needed.
How does it work?
With one swipe in the We Are David app you create and send a “show me what personal data you have on me” request to any given company. Whatever data a company has on you will be transferred to your personal David app making it easy for you to manage, keep or erase.
How can GDPR protect me?
1. The right to be informed: You have the right to be informed, when your data is collected and used
2. The right of access: You have the right to access the data, that a company (Facebook, bank and public authorities) have on you.
3. The right to rectification: You have the right to have data about you corrected
4. The right to erasure: You have the right to be forgotten meaning that you can be erased from the database of a private company
5. The right to restrict processing: If a company is using your data in a way, that you think is inappropriate, you have the right to stop it
6. The right to data portability: You now have the right to have all your data given to you to use in another provider
7. The right to object: You can stop a company from using your data
2) Right to be forgotten under the following circumstances:
• Where your personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was originally collected/processed by the company
• When you withdraw your consent
• When you object to the processing and there is no overriding legitimate interest for continuing the processing
• Your personal data was unlawfully processed
• Your personal data has to be erased in order to comply with a legal obligation
• Under the GDPR, your right to be forgotten is not limited to processing that causes unwarranted and substantial damage or distress
• However, if the processing does cause damage or distress to you, this is likely to make the case for erasure stronger