The 12th Edition includes over 300,000 distinct words, compounds, phrases and derived forms.
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused. Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search (*, ?, vowel and consonant)
- Filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, adverbs
- Anagram solver
There are also standard bookmark, recent word and random word features. Works offline - no Internet connection is required.
The Chambers Dictionary is treasured by word-lovers and crossword enthusiasts for its majestic coverage of English and its tradition of sneaking in a sprinkling of light-hearted definitions. Alone among the single-volume dictionaries, it preserves a rich stock of words from our literary heritage as well as covering all the latest developments in contemporary English.
The integrated search features make Chambers dictionary the ideal crossword puzzle solver, as well as an extensive reference for the full range of English usage from historical novels to modern-day internet jargon.
The Chambers Thesaurus is also available as a separate app, and can easily be cross-referenced along with WordWeb.
**This is a fully functional trial!**
* Contains more than 600,000 words, phrases, and definitions, with coverage of language from the entire English-speaking world, from North America and the UK to South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and the Caribbean
* Fully updated with 2,500 new words and meanings based on the ongoing research programme of Oxford Dictionaries and the Oxford English Corpus
* Contains all the vocabulary current in general English from 1700 to the present day, as well as earlier major literary works, including Shakespeare, Milton's poetry, the Authorized Version of the Bible, and Spenser's Faerie Queene
* Excellent coverage of all types of English encompassing slang, dialect words, technical, historical, and literary terms, and rare and obsolete words
* Contains over 80,000 quotations illustrating words in use throughout the centuries and thousands of newly discovered antedatings based on the ongoing research for the OED
* A never-before-published, introductory essay by the eminent language commentator David Crystal on the History of English provides a stimulating insight into the development of the English language
Based on the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary, the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary contains an incredible one-third of the coverage of the Oxford English Dictionary and includes all words in current English from 1700 to the present day, plus the vocabulary of Shakespeare, the Bible and other major works in English from before 1700.
Readership: Scholars, researchers, and anyone with a serious interest in, and love for, the English language. With new coverage of global English, as well as slang, dialect, technical, historical, and literary terms, and rare and obsolete words, the Sixth Edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary allows the general reader access to an unparalleled level of scholarship, as well as being an essential tool for academics and researchers.
A search tool
Featuring various search options to help you find the words you need more easily, including:
* A quick search of words while you type
* A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
* A 'keyword' search for finding key words within phrasal verbs
* A wild card search facility which can replace a letter or a group of letters
A learning tool
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to expand your vocabulary further:
* A 'Favourites' feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words
* Your last visited words are all saved in your 'History', so that you can quickly look back at recently checked words
* Discover a new word every day with the 'Daily' feature
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the Day as a widget on the device home screen
* See words in context with example sentences
* Online and offline modes supported, the offline mode allows you to download the whole dictionary and work independently from data connections
A mobile dictionary application from MobiSystems with content from Oxford University Press.
* Small apps extension for Sony products
IoE - English Heritage's Images of England
CCT - The Churches Conservation Trust
FoFC - Friends of Friendless Churches
ACNY - A Church Near You
CVMA - Corpus Vitrearum Medii Aevi
CRSBI - Corpus of Romanesque Sculpture in Britain and Ireland
Dove's Guide to church towers (bell ringing)
Church Plans On-line
Biographical Dictionary of Sculptors in Britain 1660-1851
Google Street View
Nottinghamshire Church History (Diocese of Southwell & Nottinghamshire)
The app can be synchronised with a central server allowing you to share information, ratings and comments with others.
Keyholder is designed for those interested in heritage, art and architecture who like to visit English parish churches. It is not intended to provide information on service times or contact details for church officials (although this information may be added by users and is available on each entry via A Church Near You).
Please Note: This is a subscription-based app. Without a subscription you will only be able to access churches within a few miles of Northampton and will not be able to receive any updates or make your own comments. Subscriptions are available through the app.