IMPORTANT: Towards the end of December 2015, we shall no longer provide support for this software i.e. we will not answer email queries and troubleshooting. We decided to make a price cut to $9.99 (from $25; we only received $5; the rest goes to Google and local authority in form of tax). By purchasing this app, you acknowledge that (i) this app is provided as is and there is no warranty of any form that it works now and in any future versions of Android; (ii) there will not be any support of any kind from us (the publisher).Thank you for your support.
TEN REASONS WE NO LONGER DEVELOP THIS APP
1. Google decided to force Android developers to use Android Studio, an extremely bloated IDE.
2. We can't trust Google as the platform maintainer: Every new version of Android introduces countless of breaking changes.
3. Continuing the previous point, the Android platform is losing its purpose of existence: Instead of being a free open-source platform, it is being more and more constraints by Google.
4. Android fragmentation is fairly bad at the moment: Each new version requires recompilation of the engine to work.
5. As a result of 1., we can no longer build the app: Even if we installed Android Studio, it just doesn't compile the app.
6. TeXPortal was built on doomed technology: It relies on the Android promise of allowing apps to "execute (remotely downloaded) Linux shell programs". Such feature should be completely disabled by Google by now for security reason as well as by Reason 1 and 2 above. [Think about free Android games that exploit such feature to mine cryptocurrency on your phones.]
7. Android users are very unforgiving: Once we mistakenly distribute the DVI-only engine in the free version TeX, several users gave us very uncivil feedbacks, calling the app useless etc. Another visible example is Samuel Braunstein's comment "Ruined Internal PDF viewer is awful and the developer turned off support for external viewers. Consequently, this app is all but unusable" which doesn't even apply to this app.
8. TeX-ing on a phone is really difficult and very unproductive.
9. We found new research purpose.
10. Last but not least, there is much better alternative: One can get cheap Windows 10 tablet to run LawTeX https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/lawtex/9nblggh16jqz which is the best LaTeX IDE in our opinion! It showed us how wrong it is to dismiss DVI-only TeX engines (c.f. the incidence in reason #7). And it provides the feature we could never think of (automatic recompilation, which is extremely useful when manipulating equations). Truly the best amongst all.
TeXPortal is a user friendly minimalistic TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt compiler for Android, supporting major TeX engines such as TeX, pdfTeX, XeTeX, LuaTeX, BibTeX, etc. TeXPortal automatically fixes common TeX issues such as missing packages to save you time.
Example usage: To compile sample ConTeXt document from Wikipedia (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt), follow the steps:
(i) install package [context],
(ii) reload context fonts,
(iii) compile with ConTeXt.
To compile sample XeLaTeX document from Wikipedia:
(i) install package [xetex libertine],
(ii) compile with XeLaTeX,
(iii) generate font cache,
(iv) compile again.
For more information, trouble shooting or usage tips, please visit http://lameandroidhero.bitbucket.io/texportal.html
DISCLAIMER: THIS SOFTWARE IS BY NO MEAN A REPLACEMENT FOR TEX DISTRIBUTION ON PC. WE DO NOT INTEND TO SUPPORT INTERNATIONALIZATION (NON-ENGLISH TYPESETTING), COMPLICATED FONTS HANDLING (NON-STANDARD FONTS SUCH AS ARIAL, ...) EVEN THOUGH POWER USERS CAN MAKE THEM WORK.
DUE TO SIGNIFICANT DEPENDENCY ON THE ANDROID OS, THIS SOFTWARE IS NEITHER GUARANTEED TO WORK IN NEWER ANDROID VERSION NOR ON A SPECIFIC DEVICE THOUGH IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY IN OUR TESTS ON STANDARD EMULATOR. WE RECOMMEND USERS TO STICK WITH ANDROID 4.1.