This interactive early reader ebook asks young children to touch the correct word on a screen of similar sounding words. The large type allows young readers to move their fingers along the words, while the alliterative and rhyming verse promote phonemic awareness. The app features two type faces, the first being a print based font, the same from which children learn to write. The second is OpenDyslexic a font that some people who have dyslexia find easier to read.
- Option for a very simple print based font, meaning the letters look like the letters they are taught to write.
- Option for a font called OpenDyslexic that some people with dyslexia find easier to read.
- The font is made as large as possible so that the child’s finger can point at each letter as they sound it out.
- The verses are alliterative and/or rhyming to promote phonemic awareness.
- The child is asked to find the target word on a screen of words that sound and are spelled similarly. The puzzles encourage the child to look for patterns in the words to find the correct answer.
- The book has both phonetic and sight words.
- There are sixteen target words for a total of 64 pages.
- The target words are Cat, Dog, Cow, Baby, Duck, Dino, Pig, Truck, Bug, Rose, Slug, Vase, Boat, Nail, Tree and Moon.
- There is a read-to-me button that can be removed through an options menu.
Learn To Read helps achieve the following Common Core Standards
RF.K.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
- Recognize and produce rhyming words.
- Add or substitute individual sounds (phonemes) in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
RF.K.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- Distinguish between similarly spelled words by identifying the sounds of the letters that differ
ABOUT CORVID APPS:
My name is Laura and I am a mother and independent app developer. I am working hard to offer a large collection of fun, unique, educational kid’s apps. If you like my app please leave a positive review. If you have a problem or are unsatisfied please email me at email@example.com and I will do my best to rectify the situation. Visit my website and blog at www.corvidapps.com for more information about this app and information on learning with technology.