To solve a puzzle, one needs to determine which cells will be boxes and which will be empty. Determining which cells are to be left empty (called spaces) is as important as determining which to fill (called boxes). Later in the solving process, the spaces help determine where a clue (continuing block of boxes and a number in the legend) may spread. Solvers usually use a dot or a cross to mark cells they are certain are spaces.
It is also important never to guess. Only cells that can be determined by logic should be filled. If guessing, a single error can spread over the entire field and completely ruin the solution.
** Word Game Helper is entirely self contained and does not require an internet connection to work. This free version however, does include ads which may use your internet connection. The paid for versions are ad free.
Word Finder - Enter any combination of letters and blanks to see all the words they can make, from 15 letter words all the way down to the 2 letter words. For example, given the letters "abcdefg" and 2 blanks, the application will calculate all possible combinations of those letters with the blanks, and return the words that can be made (such as "boldface", "feedback"... see more in the screenshots).
Hooks - Find all the front and end hooks for a word (hooks are the letters or words you can add to an existing word to make a new word)
Crossword Helper - Enter the letters you have using ? for the blanks, and see the words that could fit
Browse - Browse all of the 2 to 15 letters of the set
Anagrams - view the anagrams for a word.
This is the free version which is an ad-supported version of the full SOWPODS version.
This is the crossword solver that rivals all other crossword puzzle solvers found in the market. Instead of solving based on purely letter count of each word, etc, this solver has the ability to use CONTEXT such as the actual clue given in the puzzle. A very useful crossword puzzle helper to bring along with you!
For example, the clue "enemy of Perseus" with the pattern "M5" will return MEDUSA as one of the possible words!
**Note that this free version runs on the older cluttered interface. The premium version has a revamped cleaner interface.**
HOW TO USE
There are two main steps.
1. Enter a hint or a clue.
- This would typically be the actual clue on the crossword
- e.g. Ottoman dynasty founder, Helen of _
- Underscores can be used to replace blanks
2. Enter a pattern.
- A number represents unknown letters.
- e.g. for a five letter words with all letters unknown, 5 will be the pattern
- alternatively, question marks (?) or periods (.) can be used to represent each unknown character
- i.e. 5 is the same as ????? and .....
- letters which are known can be placed in the pattern, e.g. R4 means a word starting with R followed by 4 unknowns
- e.g. for the word horseman, for which only the letters H and S are revealed, H2S4, H??S???? are both possible input patterns
- The search engine is based outside of the app (hence the small size) and thus requires internet connection.
- The data retrieved is relatively small so you don't have to worry about data usage
- As this is a free version, advertisements will be present.
- Free version also means that the number of queries is limited to 15 per day.
- To remove ads and have unlimited queries, consider getting the [Premium] version. I'm being realistic here as server rental isn't particularly cheap.
- Premium version is available here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=space.works.crosswordsolverpremium