This application allows you to read the Bible quickly without moving your eyes. While this might not be the best way to study the Bible in-depth, it is still a good way to get an overview and flow of a large passage or of a (short) book.
To get started you need to download one (or more) of your favorite Bible translations (each one is about 5MB) and then select it in the settings. After that you can then look up a Bible passage. Tap the reading area to play and pause your reading progress.
The app will accept a number of different passage formats, for example:
- "Mark", "mark 1-16", "Gen", "ez" - Will return the whole book (maybe slow depending on the book size)
- "Mark 1:1", "Gen 1:1", "ps 1:1" - Will return one verse
- "Mark 1:1-6", "gen 1:4-15" - Will return a range of verses
- "Mark 1:1-4:5", "1 cor 1:1-4:13", "rom 3-5:6" - Will return a range of verses over a chapter
- "Mark 1-4", "rom 1-8" - Will return a range of chapters
Currently it will not accept split passages such as "John 1:3,7-8" or "Rom 4, 9".
- choose from 50 English translations including: HCSB, NKJV, NIV84, NRSV etc..
- clean interface while reading to reduce distractions
- progress bar
- adjust reading speed
- adjust reading font size
- download manager
- can use a number of different Bible queries
- full text preview (long press to copy to clipboard)
This application uses the following opensource modules:
- OpenSpritz Android by David Brodsky
- Bible Passage Reference Parser by Openbible.info
- XML Bibles hosted by www.churchsw.org
This app would not exist if it wasn't for these open source modules. Likewise, the source code for this app is online: https://bitbucket.org/ampers_apps/openspritz-bible-android-app