Biodiversity Data Capture.
Data capture application, designed for aiding submission of sighting records of Ireland’s biodiversity to the National Biodiversity Data Centre, a national repository of over 4 million species occurrence records for more than 16,000 species.
- Designed for REAL-TIME recording IN THE FIELD; this app DOES NOT SUPPORT RETROSPECTIVE RECORDING so please do not use the application when you are not at the location of the record as it will generate an incorrect grid reference.
- Users are able to record some of Ireland’s MOST COMMON and COMMONLY RECOGNISED SPECIES; this app DOES NOT CONTAIN AN EXHAUSTIVE CHECKLIST of Ireland’s biodiversity.
- AUTOMATED SPATIAL REFERENCING so you don’t have to worry about figuring out your grid reference or lat-long figure [requires location services to be turned on].
- TAKE A PHOTO of your species of interested and upload it with your record [optional].
- Not all data fields are mandatory; if you are not sure of the ‘Habitat’ type, all of which are chosen from Fossitt’s Guide to Habitats in Ireland, no problem, just leave it blank! Mandatory fields include SPECIES GROUP, SPECIES, SITE LOCATION, NAME and EMAIL.
- Set your DEFAULT NAME and EMAIL so you don’t have to enter those details in every time you submit a record.
- Once you have saved your records to the application, don’t forget to complete your FINAL UPLOAD; best done with when experiencing good network connectivity.
Would you prefer to record in the comfort of your own home? Visit Ireland’s Citizen Science Portal at https://records.biodiversityireland.ie/ on your laptop or PC if you wish to submit your biodiversity sighting records retrospectively or if you can’t record the species you observed in the field from the application.
Want to learn more about Ireland’s biodiversity, the work and numerous projects of the National Biodiversity Data Centre, or our various monitoring schemes, please visit http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/ for more information.