PedalAid is an app for encouraging cycling on the Isle of Wight Red Squirrel Trail. The 50km trail runs through Cowes, Newport, Sandown and Shanklin before returning through Newport and back to Cowes. Have fun whilst improving your health, helping local charities and winning prizes.
- Use GPS to track your bike rides on the Red Squirrel Trail
- Money is donated to Isle of Wight charities based on the distance logged
- Monthly prize draws
- Compare your personal distance to other riders on the leaderboard
- Set up a team with your friends, family or colleagues
- Check out your stats - miles cycled, money saved, CO2 saved, calories burned
- Useful guide to learn practical information about the route, explore the Island’s rich wildlife and fascinating history
The app sets monthly distance challenges for you to aim at. Every user’s journey along the cycle route contributes to the overall target. A chosen local Isle of Wight charity receives a donation if the target is reached.
There is a monthly prize draw for everyone who makes it into the top 20 on the leaderboard. And everyone who cycles at least 10km along the route each month will be entered into our other prize draw. Recent prizes include a £50 voucher for Rapanui, the award-winning sustainable fashion brand based in Freshwater.
From the app dashboard you can select if you want to track journeys automatically or manually. If automatic journey tracking is enabled, the app uses GPS to determine your location when the app is running in the background. We have used GPS in a power-efficient way. However, as with all apps that use location, please note that continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.