This guide covers the 40 most important excavated structures in the Ostia Antica. It offers a full description of every excavated building including 3D models or sketches of how the buildings used to look in their past glory. Markings on the map shows where the structures are placed, and where your are accordingly to them.
Using TTS (text to speak) your smartphone will act as an audio guide and will read the texts out to you loud, as you visit the different sites. The voice used is the default Android speaker voice, that is already installed on your device. All you need to do is to press “Play” at the button of a selected text, and the chosen text will be read out to you.
You can either use our predefined tour of the highlights of the area, or you can plan your own tour through the excavation site. Simply use the Tour Planner features to select the buildings you would like to see and then follow you own route through Ostia.
Let us show you Ostia Antica, as it used to be…
Features included in the app:
- Description and history 40 of the buildings in Ostia.
- Pictures of the excavated buildings and 3D models of how they used to look.
- Audioguide using TTS (text to speech).
- Tour planner to create your own unique route through the excavation site.
- Markings of the buildings on a GPS powered map.
- A description of the history of the entire Excavation site.
40 buildings are covered in Ostia Antica Excavation:
- The Necropolis.
- The roman gate.
- The aquaduct.
- Square of victory.
- Baths of the voachmen.
- Fiume Morto - Dead River.
- Baths of Neptune.
- Road of the fountain.
- The covered water-basin.
- Barracks of the Fire Brigade.
- Square of the Guilds.
- Christian chapel.
- House of the Millstones.
- House of the Wine-bar.
- Temple for Rome and Augustus.
- The Curia.
- House of the Cult-niche.
- Round Temple.
- House of the Fishmongers.
- Republican Temples.
- House of Amor and Psyche.
- Baths of Mithras.
- Guild-seat of the Grain Measurers.
- House of Serapis.
- Baths of the Seven Sages.
- House of the Charioteers.
- Garden Houses.
- Public Latrine.
- Forum Baths.
- Large bakery.
- Temple of the Great Mother (Magna Mater), Cybele.
- Temple of Attis.
- Fortuna Annonaria.
- Fulling mill.
- Baths of the Marine Gate.
The Ostia app will ask for your GPS position - However the data will not be stored or in anyway shared with external parties. The app will work without the GPS turned on, but then it will not show your position on the maps.
The Ostia app has no “add-ons” or "in app purchases", so all the features will be yours without extra fees. The app is ongoing being updated and new features released.