• GammaGuard is a real, working radioactivity detector.
• Uses your phone's camera to detect radiation. No external detector required.
• Simple enough for the general public as well as professionals to use.
• Noise reduction calibration. Higher sensitivity than other camera based radiation detection apps.
• Runs and alarms in the background. Continuous protection, continuous dose rate display.
• Logs out the data and GPS coordinates for further investigation.
• Capable of calculating dose and dose rate units in uSv and Rem.
• Easy hook up to external detectors if desired.
Before developing GammaGuard, we looked for an app that could protect a user from unknown, unsafe radiation levels all day, every day as the user went about their business, and to do this all while quietly running in the background. Such an application wasn't available, that is, until we developed GammaGuard. The always with you, always-on radiation detector that has your back.
What to expect:
GammaGuard employs the phone’s camera to detect and count ionizing radiation in the form of gamma radiation. The smaller the sensor, as with a phone's camera, the less gamma rays can make contact with the sensor. This means in naturally occurring, non-threatening radiation (also called background radiation) there can be no, or only a few registered counts over several hours. This is normal and does not mean the detector is not working, it simply means it is working and you are safe. When measuring everyday objects, like household smoke detectors, TIG welding rods, old radium dial watches, or in an airplane flying at 30,000 feet, more counts will be detected. This should be somewhere in the area of one count every few seconds to one count every few minutes. These are still very safe levels that GammaGuard can easily detect. GammaGuard will be a huge asset when a person unknowingly enters any area where higher levels of radiation exist. The higher the emission, the higher amount of gammas hit the camera, the higher the counts.
Many expensive and sensitive radiation detectors will saturate and become useless in very high radiation fields, which leaves the user in an unsettling position and needing access to more equipment. This makes GammaGuard the simplest and easiest 1st tool for first responders.
• This is only a gamma radiation detector and will not detect alpha or beta, but can be hooked up to other instruments to do so.
• GammaGuard can easily be set up to work with external detectors when more sensitivity is required.
For a more detailed description of the application, please visit the developer website listed below.