Use this app to follow the Tupapa heritage trail in Turanganui-a-Kiwa (Gisborne), or from home.
Embark upon a journey of discovery traversing the landmarks that have shaped this place, from first settlement by Maori more than 700 years ago, through the arrival of Captain Cook, then the first European settlers.
Discover the stories this land from the perspectives of the tangata whenua (original inhabitants of the land) Ngati Oneone, Ngai Tamanuhiri, Rongowhakaata and Te Aitanga-a-Mahaki.
* A series of videos present a guided tour through places and events that have shaped this region and country.
* A trail map helps you find your way.
* Animated graphic novels tell the stories of Turanganui-a-Kiwa in vibrant and dynamic illustration.
* Historic photographs and illustrations depict places, people and taonga (treasures) of local significance.
* App available in English and Maori language versions.
The word ‘Tupapa’ describes the place where the iwi (indigenous peoples) of Turanganui-a-Kiwa (Gisborne) connect through shared history and ancestry. Tupapa: Our Stand. Our Story is a project to tell the rich, interwoven stories that have been passed down about the first people to navigate to and inhabit this region. It includes this app, a walking trail, and a website rich in multimedia storytelling.
Learn more at tupapa.nz