*** Genetics 4 Medics featured in The Lancet (Sep, 2011)
*** Compiled by doctors from Clinical Genetics, Pediatrics & Cardiology backgrounds
*** NEW*** Version 3.0
1. Conditions section completely revised and updated as of January 2014.
2. Diagrams added.
3. Links to PubMed review articles.
Genetics 4 Medics application is intended to facilitate the learning process as well as to refresh the knowledge which has already been acquired. We hope this will be useful to students and practicing clinicians alike.
*** NOTE: In the free version, the user will have access to 50 Genetic conditions, 50 Clues, 3 Chromosomes in the mapping section and the questions in the Gene Teaser section. To unlock all features, please upgrade to the full version by an in-app purchase.
*** The free version is ad supported
We have designed this app to be used as a mini eBook with five sections.
1. Genetic Conditions
In this section, we have described more than 200 genetic conditions. The objective was to help find information on conditions which are not so uncommon.
Each condition has the following headings:
• Background & Genetics: This includes a brief description of the genetic cause (gene mutation, chromosomal location etc) and inheritance pattern of the condition.
• Salient Features: This describes the salient clinical features of a condition. We have included only the clinical features commonly associated with the condition. We have NOT included rare associations.
• Links to external online resources: We have provided links to Wikipedia, Google Images and YouTube for majority of conditions. NOTE: The material in these external websites are not under our control, and we are not responsible its content. Access to these websites will need an active internet connection either via WiFi or internet data plan.
In this section, we have mapped a condition to its chromosomal locus. We have mainly included conditions caused by single gene defect. Clicking on the titles will open up the description page.
Note: The chromosome diagrams are only pictorial representations to facilitate visual learning and memory. They do not represent exact G banding pattern and are not drawn to scale.
We have included about 150 clinical features which are clues to some of the conditions described in this application. Some clinical features may be shared by different conditions. Clicking on a feature provides links to these conditions. However, as we have only used data from the ‘Salient features’ section, this is not an exhaustive list. Please refer to standard genetic textbooks for a complete list of conditions associated with a particular clinical symptom or sign.
4. Gene Teasers
Food for your genes! Try out these questions in your spare time. We plan to update this section regularly with a new question. A notification will be sent whenever this section is updated with a new question. The title of the case scenario will automatically be updated in this section. The user will be able to download the case by selecting the download icon next to the title. NOTE: An active internet connection will be needed for the regular updates as well as to download the cases.
In this section, we have described some basic genetic concepts and genetic investigations using simple terminology.
Genetics 4 Medics application should only be used for educational purposes and NOT as a diagnostic tool. For help with diagnosing a genetic condition, please take advice from an experienced Clinical Geneticist.
Full Terms & Conditions available on downloading the app. Users must agree to these Terms & Conditions prior to use.
Please contact us for support or feedback - firstname.lastname@example.org
The various topics included are Structural Organization in Animals & Plants,Cell Structure and Function,Plant Physiology,Human Physiology,Reproduction,Genetics and Evolution,Biology and Human Welfare,Biotechnology,Ecology and Environment.
QVprep Lite Genetic Engineering is FREE and has limited content. The app gives you the option to buy the paid QVprep Genetic Engineering app which has exhaustive content for preparation and gaining expertise in Genetic Engineering. Please download this FREE app and try it out.
Please view the app video at
* Introduction & History of Genetic Engineering
* Genetic Engineering Techniques
* Genetic Engineering Experiments
* Molecular Cloning
* Gene Targeting & DNA Insertion Techniques
* Genetically Modified Organisms
* Genetically Modified Crops
* Genetically Modified Food
* Gene Therapy
* Human Genome Project
* Recombinant DNA Technology
* Genome Engineering
* Plant Genetic Engineering
* Genetic Screening for Human Diseases
* Synthetic Biology
QVprep Lite Genetic Engineering is ideal for
* College majors in Genetics
* Undergraduates doing Genetic Engineering
* Junior Physicians
* Engineering students
* Medical, Pre-medical and Nursing students
* Medical technicians, Laboratory technicians and Physician assistants
* Preparing for job interviews
* Hospitals and labs to provide training to their staff
* Even 11th and 12th graders
A) LEARN MODE
The app allows you to learn Genetic Engineering concepts in a very simple and user friendly manner. In the "Learn" mode of the app, you click on the "Concepts" button, review the "concept text" and then answer multiple choice questions related to the concept that you just reviewed.
If you answer wrong, a detailed "answer explanation" will be displayed, which will reinforce learning. Proceed in this manner to complete a particular topic at your own pace.
Thus, by referring to the "Genetic Engineering Concept text" and then answering multiple choice questions, your learning is faster and complete.
QVprep Lite Genetic Engineering is FREE and has limited content. The app gives you the option to buy the paid QVprep Genetic Engineering app which has exhaustive content for preparation.
B) TEST MODE
In the "Test" mode, the app does not show the context text to help you. Instead, you use your learning from the app and attempt multiple choice questions. Again, the app prompts you with detailed answer explanation in case you answer wrong. This proven process again reinforces learning.
QVprep Lite Genetic Engineering is FREE and has limited content. The app gives you the option to buy the paid QVprep Genetic Engineering app which has exhaustive content for preparation.
QVprep Genetic Engineering is useful for
* Exam preparation in genetics and genetic engineering
* Revision of concepts to aid in your career in engineering & medicine
* Genetics Concept Review
PJP Consulting LLC
* Our mission is to develop educational apps for every subject and every school and college so that today's modern technology like smart phones and tablets is used for education and learning of school, college and academic curriculum.
Thousands of terms explained profusely, divided into more than 900 between categories and subcategories. Here are just a few: cytogenetics Classic experiments (genetics) gene expression applied genetics Population Genetics formal genetic human Genetics genes genetic diseases Mathematics for genetic genetic material mutation Mutagenicity tests
✔ NO INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED, databases, and images are already present in the APA
✔ Universal App (optimized for Phone & Tablet) buy it once and install it on all your devices.
✔ On the detail screen: - Button to enter the item in your favorites, quickly recovers from the terms read quietly - Button ENTER TO EMAIL: you can send the text and all the images with a single click - Buttons to zoom in and the text, you will not have problems reading! - Button to search the data and display it instantly on Wikipedia for more details - Button to see the full path of research to get to the voice Download it today at the price on offer.
Blood test result Values gives both non-medical readers and health professionals a fast-navigable and clearly structured overview of the main routine laboratory parameters and possible causes of their increase and decrease.
Each result contains important clinical information, critical lab values, differential diagnoses and etc. The Normal Lab Values are clearly arranged, alphabetically ordered and quickly located.
Whether you are a patient looking for answers that might reassure you about your health, or a medical practitioner seeking quick confirmation regarding a particular test, this app puts the information into the palm of your hand.
This app shows the content onto your mobile device or tablet, meaning you won’t be dependent on an Internet connection to navigate to the information you need, when you need it.
Includes labs from biochemistry, haematology (hematology), immunology, toxicology, microbiology, virology and genetics departments plus common screens from neurology, respiratory, rheumatology, endocrinology, cardiology, gastroenterology and oncology.
Genetics Glossary provides you a comprehensive list of gentical terms and its short description which guides you in understanding the genetics terms better.
- No Internet connectivity required
- Search through our database in alphabetical order
- Search keyword using title and application content
- Add term to your favorite list
- Share the term to your friends and family through email, facebook and twitter
- Change the font size for better reading experience
- View history
- Random display of terms
- Toggle between terms using previous and next
All search results provide information on literature reference(s) with integrated access to PubMed for reading of abstracts and original publications.
Digital Abstracts Edition
Starting with the December 2010 issue, you can now get the abstracts of every Pediatrics article, both print and online, compiled together into one convenient mobile format.
This new edition is composed to replicate the design of our award winning print journal, and in addition to all the article abstracts it also features the full-text of AAP Policies, Commentaries, and Perspective columns.
Get the low-down on leading research, special features, reviews, and case studies at your fingertips—and all with 24/7 access. It fits into any busy schedule. Find out today why you can't afford to miss a single issue.
And if that wasn’t enough, it’s Free!
“The content of the journal is intended to encompass the needs of the whole child in his physiologic, mental, emotional, and social structure.
The single word, PEDIATRICS, has been chosen to indicate this catholic intent.”
-Hugh McCulloch, PEDIATRICS, January 1948
PEDIATRICS is the official peer-reviewed journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics and a long-time leader in the field. The journal has been publishing original research, clinical observations, and special feature articles on a monthly basis since 1948. The journal serves authors and readers of the general medical profession as well as pediatricians, and contributions relevant to pediatricians are also included from disciplines such as nutrition, surgery, dentistry, public health, child health services, human genetics, basic sciences, psychology, psychiatry, education, sociology, and nursing.
Now you can enjoy the full-range of the print and online editions in a format as mobile as you are!
The PEDIATRICS Digital Abstracts Edition Android app includes:
-Stunning typeset format, designed after the print edition.
-Text-formatted articles, for maximum mobile readability.
-Downloadable issues for easy offline reading.
-Searchable archive of available issues.
-Bookmarking capabilities for your favorite articles.
-Ability to share your comments with other readers.
-Weekly RSS feeds.
This application is powered by Texterity, a leader in digital publishing technology, provider of hundreds of online digital publications, and coverleaf.com. Check the Android Market for more apps from your favorite magazines! This app is currently designed for phones only.
Medical dictionary is a free hand book more like a Medical dictionary for emergency lookup on disease names to assist individuals and to Physicians. Medical Dictionary is a leading medical word dictionary used by health care professionals today in this modern technology world.
This mobile application aids not only Specialists, General Physicians but also nurse routines at any given point of the day.
This App provides broad classification of medicines, symptoms of Sickness, expert prescribes, recommend drugs and information about adverse problems, Clinical diagnosis, Nursing central facts and patient care.
* Excellent coverage for general health & biomedical sciences.
* Provides three features: Annotator, Dictionary and Thesaurus.
* More than 300'000 medical/biomedical terms.
* Semantic (conceptual) and Dictionary (literal) search available.
* Especially good cancer related drug coverage, and chemotherapy regimen coverage.
* Includes number of standards used by the community, including CDISC, UCUM, FDA standard product labeling terminology.
Needs Internet access to connect to major online medical resources.
Keywords : Drug, Medicine, Medical Dictionary, Dictionary, Medical Annotator, Thesaurus.
This medical disease hand book can act as a clinical advisor for self diagnosis and can also be used to look up symptoms, diseases and treatment. Medical diseases dictionary free download is like a FREE Doctor at home for common diseases and treatment codes.
Diseases dictionary FREE - Medical App Features:
- Works Offline without internet.
- Detailed description of all major medical conditions and diseases.
- Information regarding treatment of diseases for all medical conditions and symptoms along with medication information, medication interaction and drug side effects.
- Medical reference book and thesaurus covering all medical terminologies and abbreviations.
- Prescription drug info along with pill description is provided in the treatment section.
- Physicians desk reference and pharmaceuticals dictionary.
- A handy free pocket guide for nurses for use as an emergency guide.
Who can use this free disease dictionary:
Healthcare professionals, pharmaceuticals, physicians, hospital nurses, medical students, nursing professionals, pharmacy, physician assistants and for students who work in clinical practice & dispensary.
This app cannot and should not replace a pharmacist or a doctor consultation. App content is only for pocket reference & educational purposes. Consult a doctor before actual usage of any of the information in this app.
● Convenient gallery of AAP web links.
● Updates and messages from AAP when new information and apps are available
● Drag icons into the Favorites row for quick access to the resources you use most often
● Education materials and articles
SINGLE SIGN-ON ACCESS TO AAP SITES AND SUBSCRIPTIONS:
● Pediatric Care Online
● Red Book Online
● Patient Education Online
● My AAP
● Pediatrics and Pediatrics Weekly
● Other AAP journals
Links to all free and subscription-based AAP apps, websites, and articles will appear on the app’s main screen, giving you direct access to your free and subscription resources. Clicking a link that requires a purchase or subscription will take you to the app store where you can purchase if desired.
Update now for the new AAP Red Book app, featuring upgraded search and browse for quick answers, and an updated design to align with the newly enhanced Red Book Online site. The new app also includes more access to online features when your device is connected to the Internet and better capabilities to keep you on top of Red Book updates.
Quickly access critical, current information for diagnosis, treatment, and management of more than 200 infectious diseases, including drug dosing, immunization information and updates. Digital exclusive: Red Book Visual Library images to aid in diagnosis, epidemiology, vectors, and carriers!
● Complete content of the fully revised 29th edition (2012) of Red Book
● Fully searchable text
● Hundreds of images curated from the Red Book Visual Library for diagnosis and management
MOBILE VERSION FEATURES:
● In-context pop-up images
● Updates on news and errata
● Bookmark favorite and frequently used pages
ACCESS KEY RESOURCES:
● Immunization Schedules
● Vaccine Status Table
● Influenza Resource Page
***Requires subscription to Red Book Online and/or membership to the American Academy of Pediatrics to access content.
** NEW users interested in Pediatric Care Online, please visit www.pediatriccareonline.org **
Pediatric Care Online is a practical and convenient resource integrating a full range of essential pediatric-specific clinical information and premier patient education content. This innovative and dynamic tool includes a wealth of point-of-care references, tools, videos, handouts, and more.
The Pediatric Care Online app enables you to download key resources including the Point-of-Care Quick Reference, Red Book, Interactive Periodicity Schedule, and Pediatric Drug Lookup for fast, offline access. When connected to mobile data or WiFi, link seamlessly to the other features and content on the mobile-responsive site through the in-app browser. Content is updated regularly, so you always have the latest evidence-based recommendations and tools.
Pediatric Care Online now gives you MORE of the trusted answers you and your patients expect, with a greater combination of content, including
The trusted content of the original Pediatric Care Online,
The complete Red Book Online—the definitive source for pediatric infectious disease diagnosis and treatment
The exclusive Pediatric Patient Education library with more than 350 pediatric-specific patient handouts—most in English and Spanish.
Pediatric Care Online is packed with top resources
Point-of-Care Quick Reference—with more than 240 select topics taken from the AAP Textbook of Pediatric Care outlined for quick and easy access.
AAP Textbook of Pediatric Care—providing a wealth of expert guidance spanning every aspect of current clinical practice with more than 3,000 page of content.
Bright Futures—complete with comprehensive health supervision guidelines for well-child visits
AAP Policy—browse and search the latest AAP policy statements, clinical practice guidelines, and technical reports.
Common Pediatric Medical Procedures video series—featuring the 13 Pediatric Procedural Skills required by the ACGME designed to leverage the power of video-based learning to provide physicians with essential training on how to perform medical procedures in the office or hospital settings.
Timely webinars and Pediatric Care Updates—keeping you current and abreast of the latest information and content.
And the latest tools to help provide optimal patient care.
Pediatric Drug Lookup
Antimicrobial Therapy Guide
Interactive Periodicity Schedule
Algorithms and clinical calculators
Visual libraries with more than 3,000 images
Forms and tools to help screen, track, and record clinical information
● Find a Pediatrician search tool
● Ask the Pediatrician forum for your questions
● Healthy Children Magazine
● Videos, articles, and resources
● Updates and messages from the AAP delivered directly to device
● Access to HealthyChildren.org newsletters
● Updates on new information and available apps
Links to available AAP apps will appear on the app’s main screen, giving you direct access to your AAP apps. Clicking an icon for an app you don’t yet have will take you to the app store where you can purchase if desired.
● Access your AAP eBooks at any time, even offline
● Rapidly search across the individual titles or the entire collection.
● Full text, visuals, and data tables.
● Find proven clinical and parenting solutions faster
● Spend less time researching vital reference information.
● Access to over 130 books in the AAP eBook Store to purchase and add your pediatric collection
● Stay up-to-date via automatic access to new AAP editions and titles as they appear.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is the leading pediatric publisher. With titles in both print and electronic formats, covering all areas of health care for children, AAP Publications are among the most respected and frequently referenced in the world. Throughout the last quarter-century, AAP Publications have been impacting the practice and clinical application of pediatric medicine worldwide.
Get advice you can trust from the nation's leading child health experts. Published by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and backed by 60,000 AAP member physicians, Healthy Children magazine packs each issue with important information for parents of children of all ages. You'll find guidance on safety and injury prevention; childhood illnesses and diseases; immunzation information; developmental milestones; nutrition and fitness; behavioral issues; and much more.
AAP Patient Education: HealthyGrowth gives care providers the unique ability to create custom handouts for parents on vital topics of healthy growth, nutrition, and physical activity for children 5 years of age and younger. Handouts are targeted to the patient and the particular topics and goals of greatest interest to the parent, from breastfeeding and solid foods to screen time and sleep.
Handouts can be personalized with the child’s name and customized by:
• Age and Gender
• English or Spanish
• Provider’s custom notes
• Topics of interest
Routines & Schedules
Plus, the provider can utilize essential tools for effective communication:
• Print or email the handout for the parent
• Include practice name, logo, and contact information
• Complete implementation guide for the Healthy Active Living for Families program
Add Goal Setting to motivate older children to strive for 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, 2 or less hours of screen time, 1 or more hours of physical activity, and 0 sugary beverages.
Find what type of car seat is right for your child based on age, height, and weight. Sortable product guide, including prices and size limits. Videos, photos, audio clips, safety tips, and other information to ensure you are installing correctly. Connect to product recalls, locate an installation technician, and find answers to safety questions for car seats and travel. Manufacturer contact information for children with special needs.