This project aims to help refugees in by handing them free and helpful tools for field-detected needs. The main areas are:
- Simple legal information
- Useful local resources locations
- Community interaction.
This is done via a cell phone application. The scope of this first App will be, due to technical and financial reasons, the metropolitan area of Athens.
1. Context: smartphone has revolutionized what we understand as an immigration crisis. For refugees, their mobile phone is one of its most precious possessions. It allows them to learn, keep in touch with their acquaintances and navigate an unfamiliar country.
App4Refs is born as a project to exploit this technology by providing simple and useful information to people who need it to manage their new situation, allowing their empowerment and gaining security for themselves and those around them.
2. Application characteristics
Simplicity: The application should be used by teenagers as well as elder people. Therefore, it should be intuitive, crystal clear and easy to use.
Area-based: This application will be developed to be used in the metropolitan area of Athens. While some parts of it may be useful outside the city, the focus will be to cover this area.
Accessibility: The application should be easily accessed and its use completely free.
Internationalization. The text in the app will be kept to a minimum with as many available languages as possible.
Low resource intensive: The design will be done with low-end smartphones in mind. Meaning: small processor needs, lightweight and compatible with old versions of android/ios.
3. Application functionalities
Reliable information: Useful and easy to access information will be presented here. A repository of selected documentation about procedures, legal status and other important information.
Assessment: This can be a simple FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) with a compilation of all the most usually asked questions and their answers in a clear and simple language.
A forum where the refugees can share their experience, ask and give information about other centres or camps and find information about routes, trips and cities.
Mainly free activities will be shown in the application where the users can enjoy their time with their family and participate in the life of the city they are in. The information will be presented with its location and with the possibility of filtering by interest. For example:
• Green areas
• Music and entertainment
• Education and workshops
These activities allow people to organize their own time and create communities with common interests.
Here, the user will access a maps interface with a filter to search for selected points of interests that the application will add geolocated. For example:
• Official centres
• Support centres
• Health centres and pharmacies
• Stores with extra-European products
• Open Wi-Fi places
• Social centres and resources
Several useful links will be provided here, divided into categories:
• Education: with a focus on free language courses.
• Official websites
• Public and emergency phones and sites: firemen, police, psychological support, etc.
• Refugee information: main sites with refugee info.