The ‘I Spy a Manatee’ mobile app was developed to encourage residents and visitors in Broward County to report manatee sightings in the County’s waterways. The app allows users to:
• Take a picture of the manatee or select the picture from the device’s gallery.
• Report information including number of manatees, type of activity (e.g. feeding, traveling, resting, etc.) and to also report if the manatee is injured or dead.
• During submission of a manatee sighting, users can request to be contacted regarding the sighting, however this is not required.
• If location services or mobile service is not available at the time of the sighting, the user has up to 48 hours to submit the sighting.
• View a map of the County’s waterways with State-regulated manatee protection and boating safety zones. The map can also display the mobile device’s location on the waterway. Even without location services active, the map can still display a nearby location if the user provides a valid address.
Created by Broward County’s Enterprise Technology Services Division and the Environmental Planning and Community Resilience Division.