See and Learn Saying Words 2 offers activities to encourage the imitation and repetition of one- and two-syllable words. It aims to help children with Down syndrome learn to say whole words clearly.
See and Learn Saying Words 2 includes seven sets of words. The words in each set start with the same speech sound (c/k, ch, f, g, r, t and v). The target words represent a range of vowel-consonant combinations and are selected from vocabulary suitable for younger children.
See and Learn Saying Words 2 is designed and supported by internationally recognized experts to meet the specific learning needs of children with Down syndrome and is consistent with current scientific understanding of the children’s needs and effective interventions. It is part of See and Learn Speech - an evidence-based teaching program designed to help children with Down syndrome to learn to talk more clearly.
Children can start the activities in See and Learn Saying Words 2 when they:
• can produce at least some of the consonants c/k, ch, f, g, r, t and v - for example, g, and t
• can produce simple combinations of these consonants and a vowel - for example, tea and key
We recommend that young children practice these activities as soon as they meet these criteria. However, the activities are also suitable for older children who need additional practice to improve their speech clarity.
• Learning to Say Words – using picture prompt cards and speechreading cues to encourage first attempts at saying words
• Practicing Saying Words – using sets of picture prompt cards in games to encourage more complete word production
• Rehearsing Saying Words – multiple repetitions of specific words to improve the clarity and consistency of word production
• Evidence-based activities following key developmental steps
• Clear and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on information presented and learning goals
• Focus on visual representation of concepts, reduced language and working memory demands to help children with specific learning needs
• Comprehensive guide included in electronic format providing explicit, step-by-step guidance and instructions
• Record forms included for printing and tracking your child’s progress
• US English
• UK English