Siftr allows educators and scientists to easily build their own field work activities. Siftr is used by teachers, field researchers, citizen scientists and other curious people. Siftr makes it easy to focus a class or group around a specific topic and take them outside a formal classroom or lab to learn in the real world.
A Siftr can be open to the public or closed for a specific class or community. It allows users collect and sort data like location, photos, and observations. Siftr creates an immediate visual of the data all the participants collect. This allows for discussions about their findings with their local class or others around the world.
Siftr allows students or participants to engage with learning materials in concrete ways taking abstract concepts into the real world. Siftr works as an app or a web client making it possible to collect data in the field both on or off line. Students may complete assignments by adding data collection posts to a Siftr or commenting on others posts.
Siftr is iOS and Android compatible. It is also a web app, so you can upload posts to your Siftr on the go, or later from a desktop.
Anyone can create a Siftr in five minutes or less:
- Choose a topic -- what do you or your class want to explore?
- Pick your categories - about five
- Invite your friends, colleagues or students from around the world.
Siftr helps direct your focus so you can:
- Discover the natural world around you
- Explore your community
- Examine abstract topics in the real world
- Track and visualize natural changes over time
Use Siftr to:
- Discover local folklore and history
- Track local plants and animals
- Inspire poetry
- Source local foods and foraging sites
- Explore and discuss contested spaces
- Learn about and categorize clouds
- and so much more
What will you explore today?