Signal is a messaging app with privacy at its core. It is free and easy to use, with strong end-to-end encryption that keeps your communication completely private.
• Send texts, voice messages, photos, videos, GIFs, and files for free. Signal uses your phone’s data connection, so you avoid SMS and MMS fees.
• Call your friends with crystal-clear encrypted voice and video calls. Group calls supported for up to 40 people.
• Stay connected with group chats up to 1,000 people. Control who can post and manage group members with admin permission settings.
• Share image, text, and video Stories that disappear after 24 hours. Privacy settings keep you in charge of exactly who can see each Story.
• Signal is built for your privacy. We know nothing about you or who you’re talking to. Our open source Signal Protocol means that we can’t read your messages or listen to your calls. Neither can anyone else. No back doors, no data collection, no compromises.
• Signal is independent and not for profit; a different kind of tech from a different kind of organization. As a 501c3 nonprofit we are supported by your donations, not by advertisers or investors.
• For support, questions, or more information please visit https://support.signal.org/
To check out our source code, visit https://github.com/signalapp
Follow us on Twitter @signalapp and Instagram @signal_app
Feb 15, 2024
Safety starts with understanding how developers collect and share your data. Data privacy and security practices may vary based on your use, region, and age. The developer provided this information and may update it over time.
(EDIT: Also, they removed SMS support entirely at some point too. So, it's not even usable to chat with most people anymore, and even folks who were using it have ditched it and gone back to SMS.) While the technology is great, the usability of the latest version just took a huge nosedive with the removal of the ability to link colors with people. I can't tell who has been talking all day in my groups anymore without reading every. single. message. Not recommended for use with group chats.
44 people found this review helpful
January 29, 2024
It's an okay app. Since downloaded I have not been able to answer a single audio or video call! And likewise when I try to call out the recipient on the other end can't connect the either!!! It's like worthless for calling but the text function works perfectly!!! Not sure what the problem is, but it needs to be fixed pronto!!!
396 people found this review helpful
February 20, 2024
For certain Signal is the best messaging app for secure private messaging AND calling. It's the gold standard without a doubt. Element is good too, and it always depends on what your needs/wants are. Element is good for gaming I think. Apps like WhatsApp may "look cooler" or have "cooler" features, but are not completely secure and private at all. If privacy is your aim, Signal is the GOAT. It literally CAN'T share your messages with anyone. Open source, each message is encrypted individually...
23 people found this review helpful
★ The Academy Awards don't have a category for Best Original App Update, but this release enables support for compressing Dolby Vision videos.