The mobile app for the Pan-African Academy of Christian Surgeons (PAACS) Only:
1. Allows the continued collection of both patient and PAACS educational data while giving unprecedented convenience and accuracy.
3. Is secure, requiring a password-protected account be set up for each user. These accounts are under the control of the administrative person at each training site.
4. Is designed to reflect the organizational structure of the present browser-based PAACS case log, making it easy to use either system as needed.
5. Allows a physician with an account on a program site server network to keep their case logs updated even when they don’t have access to the intranet. This allows easy use in the clinic, at the bedside or at home to record the case information, complications and discharge summaries anywhere as they occur and are recognized. It will synchronize the records when the server becomes available by the intranet.
6. Synchronizes only via the intranet at the home and rotation sites and does not work via the internet. This is designed to help ensure the security of the servers and the preservation of the patient privacy.
a. When a resident is on rotation at another PAACS hospital, it can connect to the local hospital server via the intranet and upload all data from and to the local server, thereby keep that program’s records up to date. Upon return to the trainee’s home program, the phone app will upload the same newly collected data (distinguished by hospital site) to their own home program server. This ensures that all cases are recorded at both the away hospital for administrative purposes and the home training program.
b. The new app permits residents on rotations at an away non-PAACS hospital to document their experience during their rotation. It will then be uploaded/synchronized when they return to their home intranet system. The home program administrator will need to enter the non-PAACS hospital name to their master list before the resident goes on rotation.
c. Each time the program connects to the server which it recognizes, it will automatically synchronize before accepting any new records or revisions. When going on rotation, the user will need to enter the IP address of the new server only once after they arrive.
7. Permits input of most data fields by dictation if internet is available.
8. Will continue to require the use of the present browser-based system for the generation of reports and the entry of faculty data.