If you have a mobile device with a MT6577/MT6589(T)/MT6592 chipset, you probably noticed the GPS functionality is pretty bad. Most notably, it can be quite difficult to get a 'fix'. This can be resolved by saving recent EPO files, which are used for Assisted GPS. These EPO files can be downloaded manually (which takes some time), or you could just use MT GPS!
This application retrieves the latest EPO files and saves them to the right location. The files should be updated daily to make sure you can always get a GPS fix quickly. The usage is pretty straightforward, but here is a set of instructions:
- Make sure your phone is rooted
- Run MT GPS
- Download the EPO files
- Go to Location in Settings and enable everything
- Turn on your Wi-Fi
- Start the app requiring GPS!
This should be sufficient to get GPS working on most of the devices with a MT chipset. However, if it still is not working after following the steps above, try this:
- Update EPO files as stated above and make sure Wi-Fi is turned on
- Go to Location in Settings and enable everything
- Download MobileUncle from the store
- Run MobileUncle
- Choose 'Engineer Mode'
- Choose 'Engineer Mode (MTK)'
- Go to the tab 'Location', and choose 'YGPS'
- Go to the tab 'Information', and choose 'hot', then 'full', then 'AGPS RESTART'
- Start the app requiring GPS!
If it still is not working, chances are you have a mobile phone with a faulty GPS chip. Some phones have poor antennae, which means you can't fix the GPS issues with an application. This application has been tested on a variety of phones with various MT chipsets, but we can't test all the phones available on the market. Thank you for your understanding.
Presentation of all GPS data from device
Position, satellites, gps signal strength
Gps diagnose and gps testing
Splendid user interface: 2 color themes
With GPS Data you can check signal quality, test gps module, check your position/location, satellites count, signal quality, fix time and much more!
The nicest GPS test, status and diagnose app! If your gps navigation works horrible use this app to gps test, diagnose and fix your problem!
Four different tabs are at your service to test and see your GPS data:
1) Sky tab + signal view – sky map view presents position of satellites connected with device on the sky. Each small circle represents one satellite with color adequate to signal strength and its status. Sky map circle is rotated depending on device compass. Signal strength view presents strength chart of satellites connected with device. Each bar represents one satellite, height of the bar is proportional to received signal strength.
2) Signal tab – list of all satellites connected with device. Each row represents one satellite. With this list you get all details about satellite prn number, info about satellite fix, signal strength and type: GPS/GLONASS. Elevation and altitude is available in landscape mode.
3) Info tab – on this tab all most important data are available, which is:
a.Position info – latitude, longitude, altitude
b.Signal info – accuracy, satellites fixed, first fix time (fft)
c.Movement info – speed, bearing
4) World tab – world map view presents position of the device, it also shows global sun position and day-light/night-dark area. There is local and UTC date time from GPS, also time of the sunrise and sunset are available.
Application offers different measurement units:
a)Speed: Metric – kmph, Imperial – mph, Nautical - knots
b)Distance: Metric – meters, Imperial - feet
GPS test and diagnose of your device. Management of A-GPS Xtra Data available:
a) Delete A-GPS Xtra Data
b) Download new A-GPS Xtra Data
★ GPS and GLONASS satellite types are available!
★ Satellite sky view
★ Signal strength and signal quality
★ Detailed gps informations
★ Position: latitude, longitude, altitude
★ Gps fix time, accuracy, speed and bearing
★ Sunset, sunrise, day-night map view
★ Two splendid color themes
★ and more....!
Currently support for MT6589/MT6592 is tested but it should work for any other Mediatek devices which use EPO files.
Ad-free version here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.evanelledev.epodlp
What makes this app different? Currently this is the only application that will automatically download the EPO files for you on a schedule in the background.
Use this application at your own risk! I recommend making full backups before using.
This application enables you to automatically download the EPO files on a daily, weekly or monthly basis if you would like to do so without any interaction required.
It has a One-Click feature(OK it's 2 clicks :D ) that enables you to quickly get some of the optimal settings for your device in your region.
A backup of your original gps.conf and build.prop files are made with automatic restore.
*Mediatek device using EPO files
*Minimum Android version Ice Cream Sandwich
*Root access (Ideally with SuperSU, may work with others)
What are EPO files?
AGPS enabled GPS module can start-up faster, perform faster TTFF (time to first fix), and obtain faster positioning information under weak signal environments.
On average, using AGPS cuts the GPS module "cold-start" time by half, and "warm-start" down to one second.
When GPS receiver is powered on for the first time, almanac and ephemeris data from the satellites must be transmitted continuously for 40 seconds without interruption to the GPS receiver for normal operation.
By uploading pre-calculated almanac and ephemeris data in proprietary "EPO (Extended Prediction Orbit)" data format to the GPS module, the waiting time for the initial data transmission from the satellites is now significantly shortened. The EPO data contains predicted ephemeris data for 7/14/30 days and need to be re-downloaded once it expires.
What are NTP servers?
NTP servers provide your mobile with a very accurate time reference that help ensure a fast GPS lock.
As standard most Mediatek phones use a Chinese server for this and so a connection from anywhere else in the world is likely to be very slow. With this app you can set the NTP servers to ones that are closer to your own location.
How this app works:
*The application can download the files on-demand or on a daily, weekly or monthly schedule.
*Download is done from a more stable location for the EPO files than the FTP location that Mediatek previously used.
*The files are downloaded to a temporary location in the application folder and then moved to /data/misc
*To automate downloads, select your required frequency, switch the toggle to "ON" and save.
*An unobtrusive flash message will display briefly "EPO Updated" when the files have been updated at the scheduled time.
What One-Click does:
*Backs up your original config files.
*Updates your EPO files.
*Deletes your mtkgps.dat file for regeneration.
*Updates your gps.conf file with NTP time servers appropriate for your region.
*Injects a line into your build.prop which puts the Dalvik VM in a mode which enhances the accuracy of the GPS.
Added monthly and weekly scheduling of download.
Disabled monitor service when scheduling is not used.
Added gps.conf time server tweaks.
Feature requests welcome.
The Golden Compass & GPS Full HD application can be used for your outdoor activities.
(Travel, Hiking, Camping, Picnics....)
Anytime & anywhere check the compass pointing direction & GPS coordinates!!
※ If the compass pointing direction of application is error, Please move the device in a figure 8 pattern & rotate around all axes.
may not work on many Galaxy Devices including Galaxy Nexus (OMAP devices)
**To Download A-GPS assist data, Active Internet Connection REQUIRED**
This application downloads A-GPS Xtra data and NTP data to fix GPS faster automatically when GPS in use.
especially for some custom ROMs, GPS is broken due to data not downloaded automatically.
In the first place, you have to choose the Application-GPS (Sygic, Navigon, MapFactor, ....) from the list of applications. A Desktop-Link is then automatically created.
- The application requires access to the Internet every time it runs. It will download and inject AGPS data (10-20Kb)
- In principle, the application was developed for MTK Chips (MTK 6575,6577,6589,6515, ...). For these Chips:
1) If present, disable EPO (you will not need it anymore)
2) IMPORTANT: If present, activate AGPS (usually this option disapears with 4.2 Android-ROM , even though there is AGPS).
Please ensure that this option is enabled, if present
- Other phones that have GPS / AGPS can benefit from this App (Optimus 4x, Galaxy S2 -first Version-
How to know if this App can help me:
1) Slowly Receipt of Satellites Information.
2) Receipt of Satellites Information , but there is no FIX.
The application does not need root.
This tool can control the Static Navigation feature of the SiRF Star IV GPS receiver in some Samsung Galaxy phones.
This feature is by default disabled. The result is that the phone cannot be used for averaging, geocaching, architectural and other precision applications.
GPS Control can enable Static Navigation. With it enabled, the GPS chip no longer filters out location data and updates the location at 1Hz even when the device is stationary. This is required for averaging and other applications that need constant location updates.
It supports every Gingerbread firmware and already includes support for beta Ice Cream Sandwich firmwares.
Future versions will add support for more SiRF Star IV features and will enable detailed configuration of the GPS.
**Not for usage on phones with android 4.2 or newer**
- Root access required -
- BusyBox Required -
- New HTC phones need NAND-unlock -
This app enhances your GPS by using a more accurate time estimation from a NTP server near you. Select one from the list, or add your own.
If the app doesn't work, please use "root checker" to check if you are correctly rooted and busybox is installed before you give a bad rating.
- Check your GPS signal strength
- Check how many satellites are being used to pinpoint your location
- Check your location accuracy
- Measure the distance between two points (ie like a tape measure)
- Trace your route
All rendering happens on the GPU and is very processor friendly.
This wallpaper looks great with custom launchers such as Launcher Pro, which animates the icons in a non-standard way.
Please let me know if you want a specific transition included, and I'll see what I can do.
If something isn't working, please let me know and I will try to fix it and refund you.
The app uses UDP for remote commands.
*Phone state permission is for pausing when you answer a call.