ContactScotland is Scotland’s National British Sign Language Video Relay service. Providing on-demand communication access for Deaf people via qualified British Sign Language Interpreters, operating 365 days a year 24/7.
In a nutshell, the ContactScotland-BSL App enables BSL users to register with our service where they are provided with their own ContactScotland-BSL account (logging in is required), and can make VRS calls via our remote British Sign Language interpreters. The interpreter will relay the conversation between the deaf and hearing participants.
The app enables a call-back option; this means that a service provider can call a Deaf individual via a specific phone number where they then provide the full name of the deaf person they wish to call. The call will connect directly to our call centre where one of our BSL interpreters will answer and connect to the deaf caller. The deaf caller will receive a push notification, to signal that there is a call.
ContactScotland-BSL provides a bridge between the Deaf and hearing worlds by providing access to communication via our BSL interpreters.
The service is funded by the Scottish Government and delivered by Sign Language Interactions.
Brand new app design, upgraded platform, bugs resolved and the introduction of new names for ContactScotland-BSL features, such as SignMail.
• SignMail™: Watch video messages from your contacts when you are away from your home or office
• Contacts: Create and call any of your contacts with just one click
• Peer-to-Peer Calls: Make FREE video calls to another ContactScotland-BSL user
• Interpreter ID: The interpreter's registration is visible during calls
• History: See incoming, outgoing, and missed calls
• Call-back: Receive a push notification, signalling that there is a call waiting for you