The app provides a floating window containing a direction arrow and the distance to the destination, this window floats above other apps and the homescreen allowing your device to still be used for other things while finding your way back.
You can use it to remember where you parked your car, where your hotel is in a foreign town, where a shop or attraction is, whenever you need to find your way back to a location in an unfamiliar area. You can attach photographs taken using your device's camera to a location to help you find your way back.
This app is ad-supported by a banner ad and allows 5 locations to be saved. An ad-free Pro version is available from the Play Store; it is unrestricted in the number of locations that can be saved.
Main Application Features:
* Floating direction window.
* Auto-rotating map (this can be disabled to reduce power consumption).
* Auto-following map (this can be disabled to reduce power consumption).
* Map can be turned off to reduce data and power consumption.
* Photographs can be saved with locations.
* Built in help can be viewed with no data connection.
* Metric or Imperial Unit selection.
* GPS fix accuracy clearly displayed when saving location and finding your way back.
* Configurable update frequency to change balance between GPS accuracy and power consumption.
* Share a google maps link to a saved location using SMS, email, etc.
* Google Navigation can be launched to navigate your way back to the saved location (Google Navigation does not work everywhere).
* This app can be moved to SD Card on devices that support it.
* Supports Samsung multiview on Samsung devices that have multiview (a reboot might be needed after installation to get the icon to appear in the multiview app list).
This app uses ActionBarSherlock by Jake Wharton to provide a holo-like UI on pre-honeycomb devices, many thanks Jake.
Find My Way Back is only as accurate as your device's compass and GPS. The device compass accuracy will be affected by nearby metallic objects. Accurate GPS fixes require a clear view of the sky.
* Permissions Used
android.permission.INTERNET - This is required for the Google Maps API v2.
android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE - This is required for Google AdMob.
android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - This is required for the Google Maps API v2.
com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES - This is required for the Google Maps API v2.
android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION - This is required so that the app can use the GPS.
android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW - This is required to float the direction window.
android.permission.CAMERA - This is required to take a photo of a location.
* Device Support
This application is designed to run on devices running Android 2.2 or above that have a GPS and a compass. It has been tested under various emulator configurations, an HTC Desire running Android 2.2 and a Samsung Galaxy S3 running 4.1. We apologise if the application does not work on your Android 2.2 or above device; please report the issue so that we can try to resolve it.
If you tried to use Google Maps out there you may have noticed that the map only shows great white spaces if you are able to get any connection at all, switching to satelite mode doesn't help much if your in a densed forrest.
Maybe you been visiting a foreign country and used the GPS to navigate only to find out that the network trafic cost you a fortune.
But there is a solution to all this. Give our app a chance and you never get lost again.
Take Me Back is a simple navigation tool that help you find back to a location you stored. Rather than showing maps it uses a simple arrow to point out the way. It doesn't use network so you can use it wherever you want even in the wilderness.
It uses the builtin GPS to determine your position and the compass to see which way you heading. It calculates the bearing to your destination and the distance in realtime so it will update as you move around. The position you store will be saved to your memory so it will be safe even if you exit the app or turn off your device.
This is the adfree version and it only uses internet to get the instructions.