The Bangladesh Jute Research Institute is the oldest mono-crop research institute of the country. Jute Research was first started in Dhaka with the creation of a Fiber Expert's position and assumption of the responsibility by Sir R.S. Finlow in 1904 under the Bengal Department of Agriculture (1904-1939). To intensify research on jute and allied fibers, Jute Agricultural Research Laboratory (JARL) was established by the Indian Central Jute Committee (ICJC) in Dhaka in 1939. During 1936-47 the effective infrastructure required for a board spectrum of Jute Research activities was established. After the partition of India in 1947, in the light of erstwhile ICJC. Pakistan Central Jute Committee (PCJC) in turn reorganized the existing JARL was Jute Research Institute (JRI) at the present site in 1951. Later on in 1963 jute technological/industrial research activities/industrial research activities were initiated in the present site as an independent body in the name of Jute Technological Research Board with the help of the then Pakistan Jute Mills Association. consequently it was amalgamated in the PCJC as agile organization as a separate project with the different budget provision including foreign currency allocation. Subsequently, Bangladesh Government promulgated the jute act in 1974 (modified in 1996) as establised Bangladesh Jute Research Institute (BJRI).
To perform the functions, the Institute have three main branches, namely.