Uncover the ancient plant and animal fossils hidden beneath your feet.
Fossil Explorer is a field guide to the common fossils of Britain and will help you identify fossils based on where you find them. The app uses a geological map to plot the rocks present at your chosen location and provides a list of fossils known to occur in rocks of the same age.
Whether you want to discover ammonites along Dorset’s Jurassic coast, marine reptiles in Whitby or trilobites in Wales, this app can tell you more about your fossil finds.
Fossil facts and illustrations will help beginner fossil hunters get started, while specimen details will help more experienced fossil collectors delve deeper.
• interactive map of Britain and geological map overlay
• illustrations and data for more than 1,200 fossil specimens in the Natural History Museum collection
• introductory information about nearly 90 fossil groups and more than 1,150 species
• fossil content researched and checked by Natural History Museum palaeontologists
• additional information about local geology provided by the British Geological Survey
The app currently covers England, Scotland and Wales, but not Northern Ireland.
This is an early version of the app and we would appreciate your feedback. Please take a minute to complete a short survey, accessible via the app (select More.)
For more information, visit www.nhm.ac.uk/fossilexplorer.