This app, London's Backyard, takes you on a series of one-day journeys to nearby towns, villages, and countryside by inexpensive public transportation, or by private car if you prefer. Suggested walking tours are included, along with interactive maps, photos, attractions to visit, historical references, practical information, dining ideas, and Internet links. Everything you need to know for a wonderful outing is right there on your screen.
Two different approaches to travel information are taken, and they work seamlessly together through hundreds of links. First, there are details for self-guided one-day tours, and then there are separate files describing the attractions, restaurants, and the like, plus files on background information, transportation details, and other practicalities.
For nearly every file there are photos and maps pinpointing exact locations. Both the photos and maps can easily be opened to full screen size for easy viewing. There are also over 25 Diagram Maps designed for easy reading on the small screen. A new interactive Table of Contents makes finding whatever interests you much easier.
This is not just a digital rehash of a printed guidebook. Instead, it takes full advantage of the latest computer and Internet technology to bring an amazing amount of current information to your fingertips; easy to access and really up to date.
★ About the Author ★
Earl Steinbicker, creator of and principal writer for the Daytrips series of guidebooks, had his first volume published in 1983. Daytrips From London, as it was called, has been revised several times since then, the latest edition being in 2011. He believes that travel should be a joy, not an endurance test, and has been refining his carefree style of personal exploration for over 40 years.
★ About Sutro Media ★
This guide is published in partnership with Sutro Media. By enabling local writers to share their expertise on mobile phones, Sutro Media is making it easier and more fun to explore the world!
If you have any problems, comments, or suggestions for improvement, we'd love to hear from you - firstname.lastname@example.org
The London Cigar guide provides all the information a cigar lover could possibly need for a stay in London.
In addition to listing all the capitals cigar stores the guide includes details of the many cigar terraces where it is possible to enjoy a fine cigar all year round. The guide also incorporates the Cuban Cigar Walk London, an audio guide to the cigar stores of Mayfair & St James. All of Churchill’s London homes are included in the guide together with details of our favourite restaurants and pubs.
* A clean sweep at DEMO 2012, winning the People's Choice and DEMO God awards!
* Swept the awards at The Travel Innovation Summit @ The PhoCusWright Conference, 2012
* See what CNN, TNW, Mashable, Travel Weekly, the LA Times and WIRED are all talking about
Immerse yourself in 360º experiences. See Paris from a hot air balloon, feel the energy in the air from the American ldol stage, and hold onto your raft as you approach Hubbard Glacier. With Sphere, your devices become movable windows, allowing you to control your view as you teleport into exotic places.
NEW & REDESIGNED FEATURES
+ Record: Samsung S4, Note 2, Galaxy Camera NX, Galaxy Camera & Sony Xperia Z1
+ Discover: curated spheres grouped by theme
+ My Feed: check out the latest and greatest from those photographers you follow
+ My Spheres: view your own spheres uploaded through the Sphere website
+ Browse by Category: check out landmarks, landscapes, events and more
Follow us on Twitter: @SphereTeam
Learn more on our website: http://inside.theSphere.com
Let us know what you think: support@theSphere.com
guides have produced these entertaining audio tours that are easy to use with photos, maps
and GPS. Once they are installed you do not need a wi-fi connection and you never get lost
even in the back alleys. This is a unique and personal memory for you to take home.
You save money – they are cheaper than guide books and most tours.
You save space – they are stored on your mobile, not in a heavy book.
You save time – you, not the tour guides, choose when and where you go.
Our walks include:
• Westminster: a walk through the political, religious and royal centre of the capital with
the Houses of Parliament and the Abbey
• The City: a tour of the oldest part of London with the Tower of London and the alleys in
the historic medieval city.
• Soho: a walk through theatreland with its markets, shops, books and theatres.
• The Thames: a stroll along the river and into places where Londoners have come to be
entertained since Shakespeare’s time with the Globe Theatre, concert halls and the best
food market in London.
• St James: a wander through this peaceful park and lake past two royal palaces.
You will “meet” the kings, queens, entertainers and people who have lived and ruled here
for over 2000 years. This is your souvenir app, beautifully presented with music, script,
soundscapes and photos, to keep as a memento of your special visit.
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery
More from developer
Explore our award-winning multimedia content with videos, podcasts and stunning picture galleries.
Join the conversation: view, recommend, share and submit comments.
Upgrade to the Premium Tier (69p a month) for access to Crosswords, an advert-free experience, and future exclusive features and content.
Full feature list:
- download your homepage and favourites for offline reading with the touch of a button, or schedule a daily download for a time that suits you
- take part with comments and debate
- subscribe to the premium tier for:
- the cryptic and quick crosswords delivered every day direct to your phone
- no adverts
- exclusive future features and content
- live football scores, results and tables for hundreds of English, Scottish, European and international games
- receive alerts for big news stories, exclusives, and goals from your favourite football teams
- navigate by section, topic or contributor and discover related stories in an article
- browse our award-winning audio and video content
- save contributors, topics and sections to your favourites
- add favourites to your homescreen with an expanded view or link
- live, updating coverage of news and sport events
- swipe through stunning full-screen picture galleries
- share articles and galleries using the Android share menu
Information about the permissions we request:
Full feature list
- 14 day free trial period (initial subscription required)
- editions every day of the week including all content from the main sections of the Guardian and Observer newspapers
- on Saturday, Weekend magazine, the Guide and the Sport, Cultural Review, Travel, Family, Money and Work sections are all included along with the main section of the paper
- on Sunday, the Observer's news sections, Sport, New Review and Magazine all appear weekly, with Observer Food and Tech Monthly magazines included once each month
- crosswords: Quick and Cryptic puzzles every weekday
- editions from the last month available in the archive
- all article and picture content downloaded for reading offline
- stunning photojournalism and full screen cartoons
- in-article image galleries
- video embedded in articles viewable when online
- share stories via Facebook, Twitter, Instapaper, Google+ and email
- swipe to navigate between sections or stories
- related articles within the edition highlighted
- related online articles
Full feature list:
- Browse open assignments
- View other people's contributions to see what everyone's saying and find inspiration
- Sign-in to submit video, photos, or text to assignments
- Access exclusive GuardianWitness competitions and assignments
- Send us ideas for stories and features
- Sign-in with Facebook, Twitter, or your existing Guardian ID
- View your list of contributions and their statuses
GuardianWitness is supported by EE, the first providers of 4G in Britain, who are transforming the way people share news, information and entertainment. 4G works up to five times faster than 3G so you can upload and download photos, videos and stories much more quickly than on traditional mobile networks.
To contribute, you need to login
To ensure that GuardianWitness is a safe place for everyone, every submission will be checked by our editorial team before it is made public. We reserve the right to reject any submission.