******* Early release - this app is a work in progress and currently requires a fairly fast Android device with sufficient free memory to run reasonably well - ie it crashes a bit.
Please note while this app is in early-release development it is not possible to provide direct support for specific devices but do appreciate any feedback to aid our ongoing improvements *********
******* RUN CHECK DATABASE ******* on first use to install data and then as you like for ongoing updates.
Pocket Guide to Megaliths is a unique guide to nearly 50,000 Ancient and Prehistoric sites worldwide, accessing data submitted by contributors to the Megalithic Portal web resource for over almost 20 years. It has a built in database to allow navigation to sites and provides extra features such as sunset and moon phase information for all locations.
Proceeds from the app will support continuing development of the app and the Megalithic Portal Society's website, helping to increase the knowledge and protection of these precious sites.
Please note as this is the first Android version there is reduced functionality and may crash from time to time, further updates will follow.
Developed in collaboration with
The Megalithic Portal
Andy Burnham - Editor in Chief and Founder
The app accesses an ever growing database of around 50,000 sites and entries worldwide. Each entry is categorised and allows filtering using a range of criteria such as over 70 different site types, map accuracy, condition, access, country of origin, location etc.
Includes a wide range of information from the Stone Age, Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Chalcolithic, Bronze Age through to the Iron Age and the numerous tribal societies such as Celtic.
• Provides a short list of the latest entries and news items, updated regularly.
• News items may be selected to discover further detailed comments provided by the Megalithic Portal.
• Global filter, (not available in Android version currently).
• Detail page for every entry with useful information.
• Link to Map location.
• Link to the Megalithic Portal to read up on more information, pictures comments.
• Full colour photo for many entries.
• Select photo to use pinch to zoom.
• Select the Megalith web page from the detail page using the (www) button, News Items select the websites comments page.
• Map view, discover the Megaliths around the world or just those near you.
• Find megaliths by text searching or filtering.
- nb. Wildcards are supported
• Easily bookmark search results or individual entries to the bookmark view
• Add your own Custom Notes to ANY entry with the handy edit feature
• A dedicated Android version help page (detail to be updated shortly).
Useful utilities are included to help when you are out exploring such as
• A Range and Height Finder.
• Moon phases for the next 70 days.
• Sunrise/Sunset, Moon Rise/Set and Twilight Start/Set.
Installing the data
• CHECK DATABASE function to install or update data as necessary, may be performed as often as you like.
Please contact us to discuss the app, ask support questions or make suggestions for improvements.
Please direct any updates to the content directly to the Megalithic Portal
• This App requires an internet connection for some of its features.
• This app uses hardware for some features that may not be available or work correctly on all devices, such as camera, compass and location services.
• Please contact us directly with any support questions or issues.
• On older devices the database may take some time to update, close running apps first and please also ensure you have updated the device with all the latest patches