Pocket Guide Red Sea is an excellent marine identification guide for visitors to the Red Sea for both diving and snorkeling.
Contains nearly 200 detailed entries of species found around the Red Sea such as Corals, Nudibranchs, Fish, Game fish, Sharks, Rays, Dolphins, Sea Fans, Worms, Turtles, Snails, Crustaceans, also some Shells and many more.
Currently includes around 75 dive locations indicated at various experience levels and depths, covering reef snorkeling and diving, ship wrecks and even lists a few coral cave sites.
Main Views show information by
• Family taxonomy
• Genus taxonomy
• Threat (where risk of injury exists)
• Depth (approximated)
• Includes a wide variety of useful information
Search features to help identify various creatures
• Unique Colour search
• Text search
- nb. Wildcards are supported, can search your own custom notes.
• Picture gallery, all pictures come with high resolution versions to zoom into unlike other Red Sea apps that have limited low resolution, poorer quality pictures.
- nb. Select image to open pinch to zoom view page.
• Group (called Shapes) search
• Map of Wrecks, Dive and Snorkeling locations
• Views covering a growing range of Wrecks, Dive and Snorkeling sites.
nb. The dive sites have been collated from a number of resources, we are happy to add to or correct any issues with entries in later updates to this guide.
Marine entries include
• Pinch to Zoom high quality image for each species
• Detailed Description
• Primary Colours
• Specialised Information
• Culinary uses (where available/applicable)
• Traditional or historical uses (where available/applicable)
• Threat, brief description of toxins or poisons in some cases
• Other info as necessary such as image attribution, link to image source.
• Detailed Glossary
• Website and References list (will be updated through later versions)
• Bookmark any entry to the Bookmark View
• Add Custom Notes to ANY entry
• Use the Counter feature to count sightings
Social features allow posting Notes to your wall or feeds.
• Use the social share icon, Facebook, Twitter etc.
Other useful utilities are included to help when you are out exploring such as
• A Range and Height Finder.
• Moon phases for the next 70 days.
- nb. Northern and Southern Hemisphere
• Sunrise/Sunset, Moon Rise/Set and Twilight Start/Set for the next 70 days.
- nb. set your location on the map and GMT offset as required (defaults to GMT+3, Red Sea)
Installing the data
• CHECK DATABASE function to validate or update data as necessary.
We are happy to consider including new features, species, dive locations etc.
Please contact us to discuss the app, ask support questions or make suggestions for improvements using any of the following.
Please contact us if you would like to advertise a dive centre or service within this app.
• Webpage Contact Us Support Form
• Support Email Address
• Images may be saved to the device sdcard where allowed by the associated license agreement where stated, where no license is stated image reuse is not permitted please contact the developers to discuss.
• Please let us know if we have missed any common species so we can add them in later versions.
• Also on Apple App Store for iPhone and iPad.
• Dive site information is provided as is and whilst we have taken reasonable steps to ensure it is correct at time of publishing no guarantee is given to its accuracy, completeness or that it is up to date, no liability exists for any damages substantive, intangible or otherwise that may result from the use or non-use of the information provided.