iWalk Cornwall is an app providing GPS-guided circular walks, with detailed directions and local information based on your current location.
Both the app and walks are designed and developed in Cornwall and have a big local following. Routes are continually being checked and updated with help from the local community. iWalk Cornwall was Highly Commended in the Cornwall Tourism Awards, a finalist in the Cornwall Sustainability Awards and has received 2 community awards.
The app is free to download. Walks are purchased for £1.99 from within the app which includes ongoing free updates. The "Lanhydrock Gardens" walk is included with the app for free so you can try it out, and there is a simulation mode so you can do so without driving there.
Over 200 walks are available in all areas of Cornwall, classified by steepness and length and themes such as coastal walks and pub walks. New walks are also continually being added.
- Tracks your location using the GPS receiver on your device, providing real-time information as you follow the walk route.
- Directions are triggered by your location, with a beep/vibrate notification when there’s a new direction for you to follow.
- Based on your location, provides information about points of interest along the walk.
- Includes an accurate map of the walk route and surrounding area, showing where you are on it and which way you are facing.
- Warns you if you wander off the walk route, intelligently based on local knowledge (i.e. not with a blind "computer says no" where there is something legitimate to go and see)
- Tells you how far you have left to go and an estimate of time remaining based on your personal walking speed
- Keeps an eye on your battery and if it doesn't look like it will last the walk, offers a number of power-saving strategies
- Once walks are downloaded, the app doesn’t need a mobile signal or internet connection.
- Walks are continually being checked and updated - updates are downloaded for free
The app also includes a mechanism to feed back any footpath issues that you spot to help us work with the Local Authority Countryside Team and parish councils to maintain Cornwall's footpath network.