You can use the Home Office's EU Exit: ID Document Check app to quickly and securely confirm your identity, as part of your application to stay in the UK after it leaves the EU. For more information, see the guidance on the EU Settlement Scheme: https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families
If you use the app successfully, you will not have to send us your identity documents when you apply.
Who can apply
The scheme is currently in the public test phase. This is so we can improve the process before it's open to everyone in March 2019. You can apply now if you're either:
• a resident EU citizen with a valid passport
• a resident non-EU citizen family member of an EU citizen and you have a biometric residence card (BRC)
Before you start
• your biometric passport, if you are an EU citizen
• your UK issued biometric residence card (BRC), if you are a non-EU family member of an EU citizen
• a well-lit area, so that you can take a good quality photograph of yourself
• an Android phone, with near-field communication (NFC)
You can check if a phone has NFC by searching for 'NFC' in the phone's Settings. You will not be able to download the app with a phone that does not have NFC.
How it works
1. Scan the details on your document and its biometric chip so you can send us your details securely.
2. Scan your face to check the document belongs to you.
3. Take a photograph of yourself for your digital status.
Complete your application
The app only helps confirm your identity. You must complete the rest of your application online separately. We'll tell you how to complete your application when you finish using the app.
The app is safe and secure
You will not have to send your identity document in the post. None of your personal identity information will be stored in the app or on the phone when you finish using it.