The Henro - Chichibu Pilgrimage app is based on my own experience walking the 100 km / 60 miles pilgrimage in Chichibu, Japan, and it is what I would have liked to have with me when I was doing the pilgrimage. Some of the temples are difficult to find. Even though there are signs and stone markers guiding the pilgrim, I found myself walking looking at maps that were put together a long time ago and not always accurate or reading descriptions that were a bit confusing at times. I really felt like I wanted to have all the details of a temple and up-to-date maps easily accessible on my phone or tablet with the possibility to use GPS to indicate your current location or use for navigation to a temple.
The Chichibu pilgrimage is really recommended if you want to leave the beaten track and do something uniquely different during your trip to Japan. Especially if you don't have the time to do the Shikoku Pilgrimage of 88 temples or don't want to travel too far from Tokyo. Many of these Buddhist temples (or fudasho) of the Chichibu pilgrimage are very beautiful.
The following features are included in the Henro - Chichibu Pilgrimage app:
• A map with locations of all 34 temples built on Google Maps and important Chichibu tourist sites.
• Current location and movement trail via your device's GPS.
• Details about each temple.
• Details about how to obtain the temple stamps.
• Distance between temples.
• Navigation via Google Maps.
• Tracking of your visit of each temple.
• Available in both English and Japanese
• Details about the pilgrimage.
• Details about the Henro - Chichibu Pilgrimage app
Well, here it is is, a perfect pilgrim’s assistant and I have packed it with loads of details about other tourist attractions in Chichibu as well; so even if you don’t use it to do the pilgrimage, you’ll get plenty out of it when you visit Chichibu and it comes at a price you cannot beat. Available now in both English and Japanese
Check out the video to see what to expect.