Get the latest wild fire location and fire danger forecasts with the app that puts vital fire information at your fingertips. AFIS gives you access to fire danger forecasts, near real-time fire detections, historical fire reports and much more.
The Advanced Fire Monitoring System (AFIS) is a satellite-based fire information tool (afis.co.za) that provides near real-time fire information to users across the globe. The AFIS app integrates the various AFIS services in a fully-featured, easy-to-use mobile application.
• Today's fire danger index displayed on a map for locations you define, including your current location.
• Fire danger forecasts based on daily numerical weather forecast inputs (e.g. wind speed, air temperature, relative humidity) and fire statistics for your locations, or wherever you drop a pin on the map.
• Satellite-detected real-time active fires displayed around your defined locations.
• Current vegetation “curing” or dryness relative to 14 years of satellite-derived vegetation greenness data.
• Detailed information about detected fires (e.g. intensity and time of detection).
• Fire history showing a location's fire events in the last 14 years in relation to historical vegetation curing using graphs, as well as statistics such as fire count, frequency and time since last burn.
• A fire danger calculator which allows anyone with access to weather information to calculate their own fire danger ratings based on their local measurements.
• Share observations of fire with the community by uploading geotagged photos to the AFIS Web Viewer. (Photos are available after being moderated.)
• A global map of fire counts for the last 14 years.
AFIS now provides global fire information, but if any data seems to be missing, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that land cover is only available for the United States and South Africa.