Los Alamos National Security, L.L.C.
By downloading the New Employee App, newly hired employees can take advantage of the following features:
Interactive Checklist: Identify the type of employment and receive a personalized checklist of items to gather and/or prepare to bring to the Laboratory’s on-site orientation.
Training: Receive an introduction to the training organizations at Los Alamos National Laboratory, and learn how training requirements vary depending on appointment type and specific job tasks. Get access to most of the training prior to arriving on site.
Contacts: Access the most commonly requested and essential resources for new employees, with email, phone, and location information to help get specific questions answered.
Community: Receive a basic introduction to climate and weather conditions in the area, with advice on temperatures and altitude, and access links to more information about community resources including housing options.
On-Site Resources: Browse through helpful resources in the app’s “After Arriving” section, with emergency information, orientation agenda, parking options, a glossary of terms and acronyms, and other resources for employees.
Lab images: Browse through several images showcasing the Lab and its environment to see employees in their element.
-Learn how production lines of women were able to work as fast as the "computers" of the time
-Try your hand at using a mechanical calculator like the ones these women used
Are you as fast as a 1943 "computer"?
Install “70 Years of Creating Tomorrow” for these features:
• Profiles of the Laboratory’s science capabilities and world-changing innovations.
• Local landmarks with an interactive map that provides directions. Includes photos and descriptions of local tourist destinations and information about “behind the fence” Manhattan Project-era facilities.
• An interactive timeline of 70 years of innovation and excellence with a look ahead to the future.
• Profiles our talented people and areas of expertise.
• The Laboratory’s role strengthening education, economic development, and charitable giving in Northern New Mexico
• An educational feature showcasing the actinide series of the periodic table, complete with audio pronunciations, fun facts, and links to the complete table.
• Quick access to Laboratory news, feature stories, publications, social media, and videos.
• WiFi or cellular network connection for some features.
• Geolocation Services need to be enabled for some features.
By downloading the LANL Student App, prospective students and Post Docs will be able to take advantage of the following features:
1. Student Programs: A great starting point for anyone who wants a general introduction to life at LANL. There is introductory information about the student programs office, life in Los Alamos, joining the Lab, the application process, international students, security and security clearances.
2. Interactive Quiz: This fun quiz will challenge the user with questions written by LANL staff members in numerous STEM categories.
3. LANL Education Programs: Starting point to find more information, salary structure, and appointment type for the Undergraduate Student (UGS) Program, the Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) Program, and Postdoctoral (Postdoc) Research Program.
4. More Opportunities: Information about the LANL High School Co-Op Program, as well as other unique learning opportunities such as the summer school and opportunities with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
5. Career Stories: Videos and links to text stories that explore dimensional careers at LANL.
6. Contact Form: Students can send essential contact information to the Student Programs Office.
7. There are several pictures of real LANL students throughout the App, letting the prospective student image themselves at the Lab and maybe even a sense of belonging!
Install “Safety Cinema” for these features:
•Eleven short, animated videos—closed-captioned in English and six other languages
• Additional flyers, posters, and presentation slides
• Common-sense, technical information in a personal, informal, and entertaining format
Developed by Los Alamos National Laboratory, Safety Cinema provides an icebreaker for genuine conversations about safety, emphasizing the need for everyone to take care of each other.
• WiFi or cellular network connection for most features.