Have you ever thought you might want to retire on a boat? Of course you have or you wouldn’t have picked up this book! Whatever form your yearning for aquatic retirement takes, Jim Trefethen can help you realize the dream.
After sailing together for over 40 years, the Jim and his wife have learned the secrets of living a content and productive life. Here Jim shares those secrets, including:
● Making sure you really want to do it: then make sure you are sure.
● How to upsize your ambitions while downsizing your life, in ways that will enhance your retirement
● How to get all your shore-side affairs in order, then to make some important adjustments in your attitude, confidence, and self esteem
● Easy-to-understand pointers and suggestions for deciding which type of retired cruising is best for you
● A ten-step plan to buying a boat with as little drama as possible
● How to modify your new/old floating retirement home to make it safer, more comfortable, and more elderly friendly
Thousands of ordinary people are living their dreams of sailing the world thanks to The Cruising Life, and this completely updated Second Edition aims to help thousands more find adventure over the horizon. Even if you’ve never sailed before, this A-to-Z guide can have you cruising to exotic ports within five years.
Your adventure begins right at home, practicing to live a sensible life with only the essentials, as described by lifelong sailor Jim Trefethen, who relishes the cruising life in retirement. Along your path to living at sea, Jim prepares you to:Discuss the pros, cons, and realities of the cruising life with your spouse Save and maintain the best type of cruising fund to meet your goals Strip away your anchors, including useless possessions, credit card debt, and your job Manage, grow, and protect your cruising fund while at sea Develop essential skills for living on the water, and how to earn an income selling those skills Find the boat you need, outfitted with the essential gear and equipment, in your price range Assimilate into the sailing community by developing the traits of a successful cruiser
If you think age, experience, and money can keep you from the cruising life, you haven’t read The Cruising Life, Second Edition.