Designed for quick use by climbers on site, this book shows how to properly place and configure natural anchors, passive chocks, mechanical chocks, fixed gear, knots, belay anchors, toprope anchors and rappel anchors. This field guide is up to date with the essential knowledge every climber can depend on.
More than a decade ago, John Long published his now classic The Big Drop, an unprecedented look at the larger-than-life frontier of big wave surfing. Since then, the sport has exploded in popularity. The big wave bar keeps rising as extreme surfers continue to seek out, surf, and survive a ride on the elusive 100-foot wave. The incredible stories of a new generation of thrill-seeking, death-defying surfers and stunning, full-color photography of monster waves fill the pages of this new collection by John Long and former surfing pro Sam George.
A powerful, contemporary look at the men and women who live and breathe for the next big wave and the bigger, more dangerous challenge, The Big Juice presents a rich history of characters, controversies, heroism, humor, and tragedy that define the sport. With contributions from:
- Ben Marcus, author of The Surfing Handbook and The Art of Stand Up Paddling
- Chris Dixon, writer, Surfer magazine
- Kimball Taylor, writer, ESPN
- Bruce Jenkins, author of North Shore Chronicles; writer, Sports Illustrated
- Drew Kampion, former editor of Surfer, Surfing, Wind Surf, and Wind Tracks magazines; author of The Book of Waves: Form and Beauty on the Ocean
- James Hollmer-Cross, writer, Surfing magazine . . . and big-wave surfers:
- Laird Hamilton
- Dave Kalama
- Evan Slater
- Shane Dorian
- Greg Noll- and more