New to this Edition Updated discussion on designing a proposal for a research project and on the steps in designing a research study. Additional content on epistemological and ontological positioning in relation to the research question and chosen methodology and method. Additional updates on the transformative worldview. Expanded coverage on specific approaches such as case studies, participatory action research, and visual methods. Additional information about social media, online qualitative methods, and mentoring and reflexivity in qualitative methods. Incorporation of action research and program evaluation in mixed methods and coverage of the latest advances in the mixed methods field Additional coverage on qualitative and quantitative data analysis software in the respective methods chapters. Additional information about causality and its relationship to statistics in quantitative methods. Incorporation of writing discussion sections into each of the three methodologies. Current references and additional readings are included in this new edition.
Praise for the Third Edition:
“I have used the older edition with great success. The new one is even better.”
—Kathleen Duncan, University of La Verne
The Third Edition of the bestselling text Research Design by John W. Creswell enables readers to compare three approaches to research—qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods—in a single research methods text. The book presents these three approaches side by side within the context of the process of research from the beginning steps of philosophical assumptions to the writing and presenting of research. Written in a user-friendly manner, Creswell's text does not rely on technical jargon. He cuts to the core of what a reader needs to know to read and design research in part by showcasing ideas in a scaffold approach so that the reader understands ideas from the simple to the complex.
Key updates to the Third Edition
The Instructor’s Resource site at http://www.sagepub.com/creswell3einstr/ contains:Sample SyllabiPowerPoint Slide SetsSample Student ProposalsSuggested Studies Published in Journal ArticlesApplication Activities and TutorialPeer-Feedback Group ActivitiesStudy Design Group ActivitiesEnd-of-Chapter Checklists
The Student Study Site at www.sagepub.com/creswellstudy offers:Sample Student ProposalsApplication Activities and TutorialsPeer-Feedback Group ActivitiesStudy Design Group ActivitiesEnd-of-Chapter Checklists
Research Design, Third Edition appeals to students taking research design and research methods classes throughout the social and behavioral sciences—from undergraduates to the most advanced doctoral programs.
New to this edition:
· Because mixed method research has come into its own since the publication of the first edition, every chapter now shows how to implement a mixed method design in your proposal or plan as well as showing how to do the other two (qualitative and quantitative) approaches
· Ethical issues that may arise in quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods designs have been added to a new section in Chapter 3
· Writing tips and considerations have been expanded and moved to the first part of the book to get your research plan started in the right direction
· The latest developments in qualitative inquiry, including advocacy, participatory, and emancipatory approaches have been added to Chapter 10
· Mixed Method Procedures (Chapter 11) show readers how to identify the type of mixed method strategy, select the data collection and analysis approaches, and plan the overall structure of the study Examples, drawn from various disciplinary fields, are used throughout the book to deepen the readers understanding of the discussion. These include examples of studies with marginalized individuals in our society that reflect issues in social justice in addition to the traditional samples and populations studied by social researchers.
A practical, step-by-step core research text that balances coverage of qualitative and quantitative methods
Educational Research: Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research offers a truly balanced, inclusive, and integrated overview of the field as it currently stands. This text provides thorough coverage of the methods and procedures used in quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-methods research. It helps students learn how to begin to conduct research and see a project through preparation of a manuscript, and it also helps students learn how to read and evaluate research reports. The Enhanced Pearson eText features interactive learning modules and assessments.
Improve mastery and retention with the Enhanced Pearson eText*
The Enhanced Pearson eText provides a rich, interactive learning environment designed to improve student mastery of content. The Enhanced Pearson eText is:
Engaging. The new interactive, multimedia learning features were developed by the authors and other subject-matter experts to deepen and enrich the learning experience. Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad® and Android® tablet.* Affordable. Experience the advantages of the Enhanced Pearson eText along with all the benefits of print for 40% to 50% less than a print bound book.
*The Enhanced eText features are only available in the Pearson eText format. They are not available in third-party eTexts or downloads.
*The Pearson eText App is available on Google Play and in the App Store. It requires Android OS 3.1-4, a 7” or 10” tablet, or iPad iOS 5.0 or later.