Each section represents a distinctive slant on leadership:
- Macro perspectives - including strategic leadership, organization theory, charismatic leadership, complexity leadership, and networks.
- Political and philosophical perspectives - including distributed leadership, critical leadership, ethics, the military and cults.
- Psychological perspectives - including personality, leadership style and contingency theories, transformational leadership, exchange relationships, shared leadership, cognition, leadership development, gender, trust, identity and the 'dark side' of leadership.
- Cultural perspectives - including spirituality, aesthetics, and creativity.
- Contemporary and emergent perspectives - followership, historical methods, virtual leadership, emotions, image, celebrity, and the quest for a general theory of leadership