• Features more than 150 tables that examine the interpretation of histochemical stains, immunohistochemical studies, electron microscopy findings, cytogenetic changes, and much more.
• Presents a user-friendly design, concise paragraphs, numbered lists, and bulleted material throughout the text that makes information easy to find.
• Offers detailed instructions on the dissection, description, and sampling of specimens.
• Includes useful guidance on operating room consultations, safety, microscope use, and error prevention.
• Explains the application of pathology reports to patient management.
• Discusses how to avoid frequent errors and pitfalls in pathology specimen processing.
• Includes all updates from the last three revisions of the Brigham & Women's Hospital in-house handbook, ensuring you have the best knowledge available.
• Features new and updated tables in special studies sections, particularly immunohistochemistry with an increased number of antibodies covered, keeping you absolutely up to date.
• Provides new tables that cover the histologic appearance of viruses and fungi and a table covering the optical properties of commonly seen noncellular material for easy reference.
• Incorporates the TNM classification systems from the new 7th edition AJCC manual, including additional guidelines for the assessment of critical pathologic features.
• Presents four new full size illustrations by Dr. Christopher French and Mr. Shogun G. Curtis, as well as 39 illustrations for the new tables on viruses, fungi, and noncellular material to aid in their recognition.
New to this edition:Tips on how to biopsy and send the best block for breast cancer predictive factor testing, updated prognostic assays, updated national guidelines (including HER2 testing) with photos, neoadjuvant treatment, new drugs for HER2-positive cancers, and pattern-based differential diagnosis chapters and guidance on the most helpful IHC antibodies
For each anatomical site, you will find CAP cancer staging and specimen handling protocols, plus detailed immunohistochemistry panels to accompany the images
High-quality, carefully annotated color imagesprovide clinically and diagnostically important information
Fully integrated, searchable, and linked contentbetween differential diagnostic categories is perfectly suited for residents, while new images and outstanding graphics make this text ideal for both residents and practitioners
Time-saving reference featuresinclude bulleted text, a variety of data tables, key facts in each chapter, annotated images, and an extensive index