New Arrivals in Textbooks
101 Ways to Score Higher on Your NCLEX: What You Need to Know about the National Council Licensure Examination Explained Simply
The National Council of State Boards of Nursing recently reported that 99,406 candidates sat for the NCLEX-RN (National Council Licensure Examination Registered Nurse), with a 73.7 percent pass rate. During that same time period, 35,558 candidates sat for the NCLEX-PN (for practical nurses), with a 77.5 percent pass rate. These tests are used by state boards to determine if a candidate is prepared for entry-level nursing practice.
How can you ensure you score high enough on the exam to enter into your chosen profession? Reading 101 Ways to Score Higher on Your NCLEX and employing the practices found within is one way to do so.
In this new book, you will learn about and understand the computerized adaptive testing format, as well as the organization of the exam. You will learn how to read questions correctly, how to control anxiety, and how to approach each section. In addition, you will be presented with a list of resources to help you prepare and dozens of tips from insiders.
101 Ways to Score Higher on Your NCLEX is filled with practice questions and reviews of the four most important topics, including safe, effective environments; health promotion and maintenance; psychosocial integrity; and physiological integrity. You will also find charts, graphs, illustrations, and tables to help you understand key concepts, as well as proven strategies, mindsets, and problem solving methods.
It has been said that the NCLEX is a test of your critical judgment and management skills more than anything. However, it is still important to prepare accordingly. Instead of panicking and worrying about the exam, pick up this book and be confident in your test-taking abilities. Whether you are taking the NCLEX-RN or the NCLEX-PN, you will learn valuable information and practical tips for passing the exam and improving your score.
Atlantic Publishing is a small, independent publishing company based in Ocala, Florida. Founded over twenty years ago in the company president’s garage, Atlantic Publishing has grown to become a renowned resource for non-fiction books. Today, over 450 titles are in print covering subjects such as small business, healthy living, management, finance, careers, and real estate. Atlantic Publishing prides itself on producing award winning, high-quality manuals that give readers up-to-date, pertinent information, real-world examples, and case studies with expert advice. Every book has resources, contact information, and web sites of the products or companies discussed.
This Atlantic Publishing eBook was professionally written, edited, fact checked, proofed and designed. The print version of this book is 408 pages and you receive exactly the same content. Over the years our books have won dozens of book awards for content, cover design and interior design including the prestigious Benjamin Franklin award for excellence in publishing. We are proud of the high quality of our books and hope you will enjoy this eBook version.
So much more than just a bestselling dictionary, Mosby’s Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing & Health Professions, 9th Edition is a one-stop reference to help you make sense of the complex world of health care. It features over 56,000 authoritative definitions, 45 appendixes, a color atlas of the human body, online resources, and more than 2,450 full-color illustrations - nearly three times more than any other dictionary available - making it an indispensible reference for students and professionals alike.
- UNIQUE! More than 2,450 color photographs and line drawings demonstrate and explain complex conditions and abstract concepts.
- A Color Atlas of Human Anatomy contains 43 pages of clearly labeled drawings for easy A&P review and reference.
- Over 56,000 comprehensive, authoritative, high-quality definitions - including expanded definitions for selected entries, particularly major diseases, disorders, and procedures - offer the latest information on pathophysiology, treatment and interventions, and nursing care.
- 23 appendixes - 13 in the dictionary and 10 on the companion Evolve website - offer quick access to useful reference information, such as lab values, symbols and abbreviations, language translation guides, pharmacology, infection control standards, conversion tables, and clinical calculations.
- A strict, common-sense alphabetical organization with no subentries makes it easy to find key terms and definitions.
- NEW! Over 300 new and updated illustrations visually clarify key definitions and reflect current health care practice and equipment.
- NEW! Approximately 11,000 new and revised definitions reflect the latest developments in health care, drugs, and nursing terminology.
- NEW! Editor Marie O’Toole, EdD, RN, FAAN lends her expertise to this new edition, reviewing and revising all definitions and assembling a team of leading consultants and contributors.
Easily locate critical clinical information at a moment's notice with Mosby's PDQ. This easy-to-use, pocket-sized guide is your rapid reference to the hundreds of important nursing facts, formulas, lab values, and procedures you might need in the clinical setting. 10 color coded sections break out key coverage of drugs, emergency care, pediatrics, patient teaching, obstetrics, geriatrics, patient assessment, and more. A special facts sections contains additional information on essential formulas, conversion tables, and abbreviations.
- 10 tabbed, color-coded sections with contents listed on each divider give you quick access to hundreds of essential facts, formulas, lab values, procedures, ECG info, and more within each section.
- Durable and buoyant waterproof paper can be written on and wiped off as needed.
- Handy bookmark/ruler easily slides in and out and includes a variety of important measurements including inches, millimeters, pupillary size, pain rating, and heart rate.
- Pocket size format and spiral binding makes this book easy to carry and use in any clinical setting.
- Commonly used but rarely memorized clinical information, such as charts, graphs, formulas, conversions, and lab values, is included to help you have vital information right on hand to deliver safe and effective nursing care.
- Tabs for obstetric, pediatric, and geriatric information enables you to easily find information to treat these specialized populations.
- Printed on waterproof and stain-resistant paper, this durable reference is tough enough for any clinical setting and will even float if it falls into water.
- A ruler with selected standard measurements slides in and out of the spiral binding and serves as a handy bookmark.
- All information is HIPAA and OSHA compliant to keep you current with the latest practice standards and guidelines.
- A new Geriatrics tab offers quick access to information specific to caring for older adults.
- Vital Signs and Assessment are combined in one section for quick reference.
- New and expanded information on emergency care provides essential guidelines for treating stroke patients, assessing trauma patients, and responding to cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Additional patient teaching resources, such as reliable web sites and cancer screening recommendations, help you communicate more effectively with your patients.
The most comprehensive UK Adult Nursing core text, now in its fourth edition, for the next generation of nurses...
This best-selling textbook has been fully revised by a team of experienced nurses for nurses focusing on the issues that are important to them. It provides a comprehensive source of the knowledge and skills required for competent, evidence-based nursing practice. High quality nursing care is patient-centred, knowledgeable and based on the best available evidence. This book will help you to achieve that.
Printed book plus PageburstTM access - you will receive a printed book and access to the complete book content electronically. PageburstTM enhances learning by not only bringing world class content to your fingertips but also letting you add to it, annotate it, and categorize it all in a way that suits you. PageburstTM frees you to spend more time learning and less time searching.
- Key nursing issues summarise each chapter and enable you to check your understanding
- Interactive Reflection and Evidence-based practice boxes help make links between theory and practice
- A Reflection and Learning feature in each chapter to help you consider your learning and professional development and how you can use it to enhance patient/client care
- Now in full colour
- A customisable electronic version of the book, which makes searching for information easy and accessible
- An exciting companion website including:
- Self-test quiz questions with full explanations with the answers
- Critical-thinking questions with outline answers
- Full colour photographs, diagrams, tables and care plans
- Hyper-linked references
- All the images from the book
- Increased prominence of nursing and health promotion
SPRINGER MEDICAL SALE - 50% OFF - TWO WEEKS ONLY
Neurocritical care as a subspecialty has grown rapidly over the last two decades and has reached a level of distinct maturity with the advent of newer monitoring, diagnostic and therapeutic modalities in a variety of brain and spinal cord injury paradigms. Handbook of Neurocritical Care, Second Edition remains true to the operative tenet that 'time is brain,' and rapid diagnosis and therapeutic interventions in these challenging patients cannot be overemphasized. The second edition of this important Handbook again serves as a quick, practical reference for those involved in the care of critically ill neurological and neurosurgical patients. The care provided to this subset of critically ill patients continues to be multidisciplinary and includes care rendered from colleagues in emergency medical services, emergency medicine, neurology, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, critical care, nursing and physician assistance. Fully updated, all of the chapters again consist of easy-to-read, bulleted points followed by a list of Key Points and important references allowing for rapid access to vital information critical for fast and timely decision making. The first section covers a myriad of important general principles while the second section addresses the major diagnostic categories of neurocritical care with several new topics; these include, for example, neuroleptic malignant syndrome and malignant hyperthermia, meningitis and encephalitis, and intraventricular hemorrhage. Readers will find the algorithms, tables, and illustrations throughout the book not only useful but truly invaluable in facilitating fast and accurate decision making. Accessible and comprehensive, Handbook of Neurocritical Care, Second Edition again fills a vital need by providing readers with a succinct and practical approach to the management of critically ill neurological and neurosurgical patients.
This state-of-the-art, multi-disciplinary reference is the first to assess the empirical research and conceptual frameworks for understanding the mental health needs and services use of the ethnic elderly. Leading scholars, researchers, and clinicians in gerontology, epidemiology, psychiatry, psychology, sociology, anthropology, nursing, and social work appraise varying approaches, the demographics, the mental health status and service use of the ethnic elderly, and issues in the diagnosis, treatment, and mental health service delivery for the ethnic aged: for African Americans, American Indians, Asian and Pacific Islander Americans, and Hispanic/Latino Americans. This unique handbook is a valuable resource and text for students, teachers, and professionals in a broad array of fields and settings.
The handbook considers such problems as Alzheimer's Disease, depression and problems of coping, culturally specific psychosocial nursing care programs, the role of culture and class in mental and physical co-morbidity among the elderly, and important life-course perspectives for specific groups. Students, teachers, and professionals in many fields and settings will find this unique handbook a valuable resource and text.
It's the ideal go-to reference for the clinical setting! Compact and easy to use, Manual of Critical Care Nursing, 6th Edition presents essential information on approximately 80 disorders and conditions, as well as concepts relevant to caring for all critically ill patients and functioning in the critical care environment. Award-winning clinical nurse specialists Marianne Baird and Sue Bethel separate the content first by body system and then by disorder, with each disorder including a brief description of pathophysiology, assessment, diagnostic testing, collaborative management, nursing diagnoses, desired outcomes, nursing interventions, and patient teaching and rehabilitation. A concise format presents the material in a way that reflects a practicing nurse's thought processes.
- Coverage of approximately 80 critical care conditions/disorders includes those most commonly seen in critical care units.
- Chapter outlines provide easy access to disorders.
- A portable size makes it ideal for use in the unit or bedside, and is also easy to carry on campus.
- Unique! Gerontology icon highlights considerations relating to the care of older adults.
- Unique! Research briefs in special boxes discuss selected research studies for evidence-based patient care.
- Unique! The latest NANDA-approved nursing diagnoses increase familiarity with NANDA terminology.
- Appendixes provide quick reference to information needed in the critical care setting.
- Revised format mirrors a practicing nurse's approach to patient care, making it easier to find information.
- Newly formatted care plans incorporate diagnoses, interventions, and desired outcomes in a consistent, logical organization.
- Patient safety alerts and high alerts call attention to issues important to a patient’s safety.
- Unique! Diagnostic Tests tables highlight the definition, purpose, and abnormal findings for each test.
- Unique! Collaborative Management tables concisely summarize key points while incorporating nationally recognized guidelines.
- Colored tabs mark the location of each body system, making topics easier to find.
- Smaller trim size increases portability for use in the unit or bedside, while enhancing readability.
NCLEX High-Risk: The Disaster Prevention Manual for Nurses Determined to Pass the RN Licensing Examination
"Your book has changed my perception and attitude towards statistics. It is very well written, the language is completely user friendly and the progression of new concepts within each chapter is fantastic. Although my class is only on chapter 5 at this point, I have found my interest in the concepts and order in which you introduce them becoming greater. I thank you with very much appreciation as I was someone who dreaded taking statistics and thought I hated it!" - Jessica Maes, graduate studentThe Fourth Edition of Neil J. Salkind’s bestselling text introduces students to the fundamentals of basic statistics in an informative, personable, and unintimidating way. The author expertly guides students through various statistical procedures, beginning with basic descriptive statistics and correlation and graphical representation of data and ending with inferential techniques including analysis of variance.
Statistical Concepts consists of the last 9 chapters of An Introduction to Statistical Concepts, 3rd ed. Designed for the second course in statistics, it is one of the few texts that focuses just on intermediate statistics. The book highlights how statistics work and what they mean to better prepare students to analyze their own data and interpret SPSS and research results. As such it offers more coverage of non-parametric procedures used when standard assumptions are violated since these methods are more frequently encountered when working with real data. Determining appropriate sample sizes is emphasized throughout. Only crucial equations are included.
The new edition features:
- New co-author, Debbie L. Hahs-Vaughn, the 2007 recipient of the University of Central Florida's College of Education Excellence in Graduate Teaching Award.
- A new chapter on logistic regression models for today's more complex methodologies.
- Much more on computing confidence intervals and conducting power analyses using G*Power.
- All new SPSS version 19 screenshots to help navigate through the program and annotated output to assist in the interpretation of results.
- Sections on how to write-up statistical results in APA format and new templates for writing research questions.
- New learning tools including chapter-opening vignettes, outlines, a list of key concepts, "Stop and Think" boxes, and many more examples, tables, and figures.
- More tables of assumptions and the effects of their violation including how to test them in SPSS.
- 33% new conceptual, computational, and all new interpretative problems.
- A website with Power Points, answers to the even-numbered problems, detailed solutions to the odd-numbered problems, and test items for instructors, and for students the chapter outlines, key concepts, and datasets.
Each chapter begins with an outline, a list of key concepts, and a research vignette related to the concepts. Realistic examples from education and the behavioral sciences illustrate those concepts. Each example examines the procedures and assumptions and provides tips for how to run SPSS and develop an APA style write-up. Tables of assumptions and the effects of their violation are included, along with how to test assumptions in SPSS. Each chapter includes computational, conceptual, and interpretive problems. Answers to the odd-numbered problems are provided. The SPSS data sets that correspond to the book’s examples and problems are available on the web.?
The book covers basic and advanced analysis of variance models and topics not dealt with in other texts such as robust methods, multiple comparison and non-parametric procedures, and multiple and logistic regression models. Intended for courses in intermediate statistics and/or statistics II taught in education and/or the behavioral sciences, predominantly at the master's or doctoral level. Knowledge of introductory statistics is assumed.
It recognizes that there are two diametrically opposing views expressed on Six Sigma, those that are strongly in favour, and those that are not, for various reasons. The book deals, head on, with the principle reasons for such hostility. It cuts through the hype associated with the brand name. It proposes simple remedies for certain defined frailties in the standard approach, particularly those related to the Sigma Measure that provides the brand name for the Six Sigma breakthrough strategy.
The book is highly supportive of the Six Sigma continuous improvement process, provided it is tailored to the needs and expectations of a particular organization. The commitment and active participation of top management is emphasized, to ensure the necessary change in culture and priorities demanded, in most organizations.
Practical guidance is given in the setting up, operating and developing the project by project approach across an organisation. The book also covers how to equip a critical mass of members in an organization with the core workforce competencies required to get the desired results.
The book covers the realities of applying Six Sigma in a range of functions within an organization and also to various types of organizations from the manufacturing sector to commerce and public service. It demonstrates how statistical thinking, coupled with the application of technical and operational knowledge of processes and focus provided by Six Sigma, can considerably enhance quality, competitiveness, effectiveness and efficiency.
Statistical process control is a tool, which enables both manufacturers and suppliers to achieve control of product quality by means of the application of statistical methods in the controlling process. This book gives the foundations of good quality management and process control, including an explanation of what quality is, and control of conformance and consistency during production. The text offers clear guidance and help to those unfamiliar with either quality control or statistical applications and coves all the necessary theory and techniques in a practical and non-mathematical manner. This book will be essential reading for anyone wishing to understand or implement modern statistical process control techniques.
- Text supported by examples from ‘real life’ research
- International perspective on nursing research
- Comprehensive coverage including established and innovative designs and methods
"Whether you are managing a product or a service, your business needs to become more open and more inclusive in order to be more innovative. Open Services Innovation will be an invaluable guide to intrepid managers who commit to making that journey."
—GARY HAMEL, visiting professor, London Business School; director, Management Lab; and author, The Future of Management
"I tore out page after page to share with my leaders. Chesbrough has pioneered an entire rethink of business innovation that’s rich in concept, deeply explained, with tools ready to use in every industry."
—SCOTT COOK, founder and chairman of the executive committee, Intuit
"Focusing on core competence often tempts managers to keep continuing what succeeded in the past. A far more important question is what capabilities are critical in the future, and Chesbrough shows how to ask and answer these issues."
—CLAYTON CHRISTENSEN, Robert & Jane Cizik Professor of Business Administration, Harvard Business School, and author, The Innovator's Dilemma
"To thrive, businesses will need to master the lessons of open service innovation. Here is their one-stop guidebook with important lessons clearly and compellingly presented."
—JAMES C. SPOHRER, director, IBM University Programs World-Wide
"Open Innovation pioneer Henry Chesbrough breaks new ground with Open Services Innovation, a persuasive argument for the power of co-creation in the world of services."
—TOM KELLEY, general manager, IDEO, and author, The Ten Faces of Innovation, The Art of Innovation
"With his trademark style of beautifully explained examples, Henry Chesbrough shows how open service innovation and new business models can help you escape this product commodity trap and bring you to the next level of competition."
—ALEX OSTERWALDER, author, Business Model Generation
"Open Services Innovation shows how a business can redefine itself as a service organisation and tap into faster growth through shared innovation."
—SIR TERRY LEAHY, chief executive, Tesco
"Chesbrough shows how innovating openly with a services mindset can make you a market leader."
—CHARLENE LI, author, Open Leadership, and founder, Altimeter Group
What people are saying about The New How
"How are you going to get rid of your Air Sandwich if you don't even know what it is? Provocative and practical at the same time."
--Seth Godin, author of Linchpin
"The New How is informative and provides exciting insights because the suggestions are practical and doable. Merchant gets the new reality--leadership fails not so much from flawed strategy as it does from failed processes of engagement from those responsible for implementing the strategy. In high-performing organizations, everyone acts like a leader, and they own the strategy and take actions to ensure its success. If you care about making a difference, read this book."
--Barry Posner, author of The Leadership Challenge
"Collaboration is a powerful, competitive weapon: this book shows you how to use it to win markets."
--Mark Interrante, VP Content Products, Yahoo, Inc.
"In a world in which the pace of change is ever quickening, collaboration, not control, is the route to a successful organization. This book tells you how to make your organization collaborative. And Nilofer Merchant's writing is a model of clarity."
--Barry Schwartz, author of The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less
"Want to transform your organization into a collaborative enterprise? Nilofer Merchant provides insightful and practical strategies in The New How."
--Padmasree Warrior, CTO, Cisco Systems, Inc.
"Merchant's book is a practical guide for the journey from strategy to implementation. The collaborative tools described here can help companies reach strategic success--and avoid pitfalls along the way."
--Tom Kelley, General Manager, IDEO, and author of Ten Faces of Innovation
Once in a generation, a book comes along that transforms the business landscape. For today's business leaders, The New How redefines the way companies create strategies and win new markets.
Management gurus have always said "people matter." But those same gurus still relegate strategy to an elite set of executives who focus on frameworks, long presentations, and hierarchical approaches. Business strategy typically has been planned by corporate chiefs in annual meetings, and then dictated to managers to carry out. The New How turns that notion on its head. After many years of working with Apple, Adobe, HP, and many other companies, Nilofer Merchant discovered the secret sauce: the best way to create a winning strategy is to include employees at all levels, helping to create strategy they not only believe in, but are also equipped to implement.
In The New How, Nilofer shows today's corporate directors, executives, and managers how they can transform their traditional, top-down approach to strategy planning and execution into collaborative "stratecution" that has proven to be significantly more effective.
- Enhance performance and outcomes by deflating the "air sandwich" between executives in the boardroom and employees
- Recognize that strategy and execution are thoroughly intertwined
- Understand how successful strategy is founded in effective idea selection-a pile of good ideas doesn't necessarily build good strategy
- Create company strategy and link it to targeted execution, using the practical models and techniques provided
Assuming no knowledge of programming, this book presents both programming concepts and MATLAB’s built-in functions, providing a perfect platform for exploiting MATLAB’s extensive capabilities for tackling engineering problems. It starts with programming concepts such as variables, assignments, input/output, and selection statements, moves onto loops and then solves problems using both the ‘programming concept’ and the ‘power of MATLAB’ side-by-side. In-depth coverage is given to input/output, a topic that is fundamental to many engineering applications.
Ancillaries available with the text:
- Instructor solution manual (available Aug. 1st)
- electronic images from the text (available Aug 16th)
- m-files (available Aug 1st)
* Presents programming concepts and MATLAB built-in functions side-by-side, giving students the ability to program efficiently and exploit the power of MATLAB to solve problems. * In depth coverage of file input/output, a topic essential for many engineering applications * Systematic, step-by-step approach, building on concepts throughout the book, facilitating easier learning * Sections on ‘common pitfalls’ and ‘programming guidelines’ direct students towards best practice
* New to this edition:
- More engineering applications help the reader learn Matlab in the context of solving technical problems
- New and revised end of chapter problems
- Stronger coverage of loops and vectorizing in a new chapter, chapter 5
- Updated to reflect current features and functions of the current release of Matlab
- Basic concepts of optimality conditions and numerical methods are described with simple and practical examples, making the material highly teachable and learnable
- Includes applications of optimization methods for structural, mechanical, aerospace, and industrial engineering problems
- Introduction to MATLAB Optimization Toolbox
- Practical design examples introduce students to the use of optimization methods early in the book
- New example problems throughout the text are enhanced with detailed illustrations
- Optimum design with Excel Solver has been expanded into a full chapter
- New chapter on several advanced optimum design topics serves the needs of instructors who teach more advanced courses
Financial Risk Forecasting: The Theory and Practice of Forecasting Market Risk with Implementation in R and Matlab
Written by renowned risk expert Jon Danielsson, the book begins with an introduction to financial markets and market prices, volatility clusters, fat tails and nonlinear dependence. It then goes on to present volatility forecasting with both univatiate and multivatiate methods, discussing the various methods used by industry, with a special focus on the GARCH family of models. The evaluation of the quality of forecasts is discussed in detail. Next, the main concepts in risk and models to forecast risk are discussed, especially volatility, value-at-risk and expected shortfall. The focus is both on risk in basic assets such as stocks and foreign exchange, but also calculations of risk in bonds and options, with analytical methods such as delta-normal VaR and duration-normal VaR and Monte Carlo simulation. The book then moves on to the evaluation of risk models with methods like backtesting, followed by a discussion on stress testing. The book concludes by focussing on the forecasting of risk in very large and uncommon events with extreme value theory and considering the underlying assumptions behind almost every risk model in practical use – that risk is exogenous – and what happens when those assumptions are violated.
Every method presented brings together theoretical discussion and derivation of key equations and a discussion of issues in practical implementation. Each method is implemented in both MATLAB and R, two of the most commonly used mathematical programming languages for risk forecasting with which the reader can implement the models illustrated in the book.
The book includes four appendices. The first introduces basic concepts in statistics and financial time series referred to throughout the book. The second and third introduce R and MATLAB, providing a discussion of the basic implementation of the software packages. And the final looks at the concept of maximum likelihood, especially issues in implementation and testing.
The book is accompanied by a website - www.financialriskforecasting.com – which features downloadable code as used in the book.
This book is the first to provide a comprehensive application of wavelet analysis to financial markets, covering new frontier issues in empirical finance and economics. The first chapter of this unique text starts with a description of the key features and applications of wavelets. After an overview of wavelet analysis, successive chapters rigorously examine the various economic and financial topics and issues that stimulate academic and professional research, including equity, interest swaps, hedges and futures, foreign exchanges, financial asset pricing, and mutual fund markets.
This detail-oriented text is descriptive and designed purely for academic researchers and financial practitioners. It assumes no prior knowledge of econometrics and covers important topics such as portfolio asset allocation, asset pricing, hedging strategies, new risk measures, and mutual fund performance. Its accessible presentation is also suitable for post-graduates in a variety of disciplines — applied economics, financial engineering, international finance, financial econometrics, and fund management. To facilitate the subject of wavelets, sophisticated proofs and mathematics are avoided as much as possible when applying the wavelet multiscaling method. To enhance the reader's understanding in practical applications of the wavelet multiscaling method, this book provides sample programming instruction backed by Matlab wavelet code.