“A thrilling account of the modern material world.” —Wall Street Journal
"Miodownik, a materials scientist, explains the history and science behind things such as paper, glass, chocolate, and concrete with an infectious enthusiasm." —Scientific American
Why is glass see-through? What makes elastic stretchy? Why does any material look and behave the way it does? These are the sorts of questions that renowned materials scientist Mark Miodownik constantly asks himself. Miodownik studies objects as ordinary as an envelope and as unexpected as concrete cloth, uncovering the fascinating secrets that hold together our physical world. In Stuff Matters, Miodownik explores the materials he encounters in a typical morning, from the steel in his razor to the foam in his sneakers. Full of enthralling tales of the miracles of engineering that permeate our lives, Stuff Matters will make you see stuff in a whole new way.
"Stuff Matters is about hidden wonders, the astonishing properties of materials we think boring, banal, and unworthy of attention...It's possible this science and these stories have been told elsewhere, but like the best chocolatiers, Miodownik gets the blend right." —New York Times Book Review
Divided into five chapters, the book starts by giving an introduction to the discovery of active nitrogen, the energy content, and the methods by which this may be produced. The succeeding part deals with light emissions from active nitrogen system. This discussion includes molecular spectrum of nitrogen, emission from atomic energy and condensed active nitrogen, emission from molecular species with electronic energy levels below and above 9.76 eV, and light-emitting systems of active nitrogen.
The next part focuses on theories on active nitrogen. The theories discussed are long-lived Lewis-Rayleigh afterglow and short-lived, energetic afterglows. Numerical representations are provided to test the validity of the theories. Lastly, the discussions end with chemical reactions of active nitrogen. Topics contained in this part are text on recombination of N(4S) atoms; rate constants for reactions presumably induced by direct N(4S) attack; reactions caused by excited nitrogen molecular attack; and mechanism for reactions of active nitrogen that seem to influence direct N(4S) attack.
The book is a valuable source of information for readers interested in the research on active nitrogen.
• first to provide exam data-mining in study guide
• allow students to focus on most examined concepts – cut study time and increase efficiency
• an expert guide to lead one abstract knowledge and wisdom
• provides exact, accurate, complete and independent self–education
• the only guide currently that covers Planning Questions
• advanced trade book
• complete and concise eBook editions available
• also suitable for
• Cambridge GCE AL (H1/H2)
• Cambridge International A & AS Level
• Books available for other subjects including Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Economics, English
• Primary level, Secondary level, GCE O-level, GCE A-level, iGCSE, Cambridge A-level, Hong Kong DSE
• visit www.yellowreef.com for sample chapters and more
With concise descriptions presenting the chemical, physical and electrical properties of any given compound, this subject matter will serve as an introduction to the field. This compendium is vital for students and scientific researchers in all fields of scientific endeavors, including non-chemists.2013 Honorable Mention in Chemistry & Physics from the Association of American Publishers' PROSE Awards Presents a systematic coverage of all known alkaline earth inorganic compounds and their propertiesProvides a clear, consistent presentation based on groups facilitatating easy comparisons Includes the structure of all the compounds in high quality full-color graphics Summarizes all currently known properties of the transition metals compounds Lists the uses and applications of these compounds in electronics, energy, and catalysis
Packed with contributions from the world’s leading experts, this volume brings in authoritative information from a number of sciences, including chemistry, physics, nanotechnology and metallurgy. The book presents a myriad of applications, ranging from electronics to medicine and optics. A comprehensive overview chapter provides historical perspectives of the element and each chapter describes potential further uses, including applications currently being developed.
Gold Applications in Use Today Include:
The aim of The Nutritional Biochemistry of Chromium(III) is to examine the four most controversial areas of chromium nutrition and biochemistry:
- is chromium an essential element for humans and are chromium nutritional supplements of value?
- what biochemical role, if any, does chromium play in the body
- can large doses of chromium(III) be used to treat symptoms of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and related medical conditions
- is the use of chromium(III) supplements a health concern.
Scientific experts, who are recognized leaders in the field, weigh in with their opinions on both sides of these issues in this book.
A background review of the field from 1955-1995 by Vincent opens the book and concludes with a summary by Dr. Forrest Nielsen, Center Director of the USDA's Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center concludes the book.
* Point-counterpoint format, providing both sides of major issues
* Complete coverage of current issues, including nutrition, health, biochemical role and toxicology
* Authors are recognised experts and leaders in this field
The Third Edition includes new exercises in each chapter that provide practice in a technique immediately after discussion or example and encourage self-study. The first ten chapters are constructed around a sequence of mathematical topics, with a gradual progression into more advanced material. The final chapter discusses mathematical topics needed in the analysis of experimental data.
* Numerous examples and problems interspersed throughout the presentations
* Each extensive chapter contains a preview, objectives, and summary
* Includes topics not found in similar books, such as a review of general algebra and an introduction to group theory
* Provides chemistry specific instruction without the distraction of abstract concepts or theoretical issues in pure mathematics
Takes a principles-based, group and molecular orbital theory approach to inorganic chemistry The first inorganic chemistry textbook to provide a thorough treatment of group theory, a topic usually relegated to only one or two chapters of texts, giving it only a cursory overview Covers atomic and molecular term symbols, symmetry coordinates in vibrational spectroscopy using the projection operator method, polyatomic MO theory, band theory, and Tanabe-Sugano diagrams Includes a heavy dose of group theory in the primary inorganic textbook, most of the pedagogical benefits of integration and reinforcement of this material in the treatment of other topics, such as frontier MO acid--base theory, band theory of solids, inorganic photochemistry, the Jahn-Teller effect, and Wade's rules are fully realized Very physical in nature compare to other textbooks in the field, taking the time to go through mathematical derivations and to compare and contrast different theories of bonding in order to allow for a more rigorous treatment of their application to molecular structure, bonding, and spectroscopy Informal and engaging writing style; worked examples throughout the text; unanswered problems in every chapter; contains a generous use of informative, colorful illustrations