Do you believe rules were meant to be broken? If so, this improvisational quilt-as-you-go technique is for you. Instead of dealing with precise paper patterns and cutting measurements, you'll learn how to piece fabric onto small, manageable batting blocks. Let your creative juices flow as you quilt directly on the blocks (not the entire quilt!), whether in large abstract zigzags or small structured stitches. After the blocks have been joined, all you need to do is add backing fabric and binding, and—voilà—it's finished!
Quilting is a fun hobby -- but where do you begin? From selectingfabrics and designing a quilt to stitching by hand or machine, thisfriendly guide shows you how to put all the pieces together -- andcreate a wide variety of quilted keepsakes for your home. We'llhave you in stitches in no time!
Discover how to
* Select the right fabrics and threads
* Design your masterpiece
* Use quilting software
* Save time with rotary cutters and other cool tools
* Quilt by hand or machine
* Get creative with applique
Imagine being able to quilt on vacation, at the beach, or virtually anywhere else you find yourself. Jessica Alexandrakis has traveled the world with her on-to-go sewing kit and small stash of fabric, creating strikingly modern patchwork along the way. Now she shares everything she's learned about this addictive, beginner-friendly technique.
• Sewing kit essentials that you can slip in your bag so you'll always be ready to stitch
• Color theory and stash organization tips for dramatic effects or scrap-happy results
• Creative patterns to combine hexagons, half-hexagons, diamonds, stars, squares, and triangles
• 10 step-by-step projects, including the hand-pieced Laptop Bag, Tanuki Stripe Throw, Falling Stars Baby Quilt, and Jessica's signature Travel Quilt
• 10 customizable quilt patterns with 40 vibrant color palette suggestions
Whether your style is classic or modern, Jessica offers a range of stunning projects, from small home accessories to full-size quilts, for all skill levels. So leave the sewing machine at home. Take your quilt to go.
· Step-by-step photo instructions show exactly how to sew 85 different stitches
· Includes 8 complete embroidery projects to stitch and embellish
· The essential embroidery reference for everyone from beginners to experts
In Following the Barn Quilt Trail, Parron brings readers along as she, her new love, Glen, their dog Gracie, and their converted bus Ruby, leave the stationary life behind. Suzi and Glen follow the barn quilt trail through thirty states across thirteen thousand miles as Suzi collects the stories behind the brightly painted squares. With plentiful color photographs, this endearing hybrid of memoir and travelogue is for quilt lovers, Americana and folk art enthusiasts, or anyone up for a good story.
•Master a variety of simple techniques such as half-square triangles and easy Flying Geese for a bold, sophisticated style
• Classic-block quilting gets a modern makeover with jumbo sizes, fresh prints and colors, and secondary patterns created with color placement
• Bridge the traditional and modern with quilts that have timeless appeal