* Beautifully illustrated with images relating to Tasso's life and ‘Jerusalem Delivered’
* Concise introduction to the epic poem
* 3 translations of ‘Jerusalem Delivered’ — including the first English translation by Carew, available in no other collection.
* Also features Fairfax’s seminal translation and the more recent John Kingston James translation, appearing here for the first time in digital print
* Images of how the epic was first printed, giving your eReader a taste of the original text
* Excellent formatting of the epic poem
* Easily locate the cantos you want to read
* Provides a special dual Italian and English text, allowing readers to compare the poem, stanza by stanza, between the original text and both Fairfax and James’ translation – ideal for students
* Features Leigh Hunt’s biography - discover Tasso's literary life
* Scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to see our wide range of poet titles
The Epic Poem
SIR RICHARD CAREW 1595 TRANSLATION
EDWARD FAIRFAX 1600 TRANSLATION
JOHN KINGSTON JAMES 1865 TRANSLATION
The Italian Text
CONTENTS OF THE ITALIAN TEXT
The Dual Text
THE DUAL ITALIAN AND ENGLISH TEXTS
TASSO’S LIFE AND GENIUS by Leigh Hunt
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to browse through our range of poetry titles or buy the entire Delphi Poets Series as a Super Set
The great-grandson of President John Adams and the grandson of President John Quincy Adams, Henry Adams possessed one of the most remarkable minds of his generation. Yet he believed himself fundamentally unsuited to the era in which he lived—the tumultuous period between the Civil War and World War I.
One of the finest autobiographies ever written, The Education of Henry Adams is a remarkable and uniquely unclassifiable work. Written in third person and originally circulated in a private edition to friends and family only, it recounts Adams’s lifelong search for self-knowledge and moral enlightenment and bears witness to some of the most significant developments in American history.
This ebook has been professionally proofread to ensure accuracy and readability on all devices.
This long-awaited new edition of Lattimore's Iliad is designed to bring the book into the twenty-first century—while leaving the poem as firmly rooted in ancient Greece as ever. Lattimore's elegant, fluent verses—with their memorably phrased heroic epithets and remarkable fidelity to the Greek—remain unchanged, but classicist Richard Martin has added a wealth of supplementary materials designed to aid new generations of readers. A new introduction sets the poem in the wider context of Greek life, warfare, society, and poetry, while line-by-line notes at the back of the volume offer explanations of unfamiliar terms, information about the Greek gods and heroes, and literary appreciation. A glossary and maps round out the book.
The result is a volume that actively invites readers into Homer's poem, helping them to understand fully the worlds in which he and his heroes lived—and thus enabling them to marvel, as so many have for centuries, at Hektor and Ajax, Paris and Helen, and the devastating rage of Achilleus.
The Odyssey is literature's grandest evocation of every man's journey through life. In the myths and legends that are retold here, renowned translator Robert Fagles has captured the energy and poetry of Homer's original in a bold, contemporary idiom and given us an edition of The Odyssey to read aloud, to savor, and to treasure for its sheer lyrical mastery. This is an edition to delight both the classicist and the general reader, and to captivate a new generation of Homer's students.
From the Hardcover edition.
Edith Grossman's definitive English translation of the Spanish masterpiece, in an expanded P.S. edition
Widely regarded as one of the funniest and most tragic books ever written, Don Quixote chronicles the adventures of the self-created knight-errant Don Quixote of La Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they travel through sixteenth-century Spain. You haven't experienced Don Quixote in English until you've read this masterful translation.
This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.