Surging with verbal, sexual, and martial energy, The Adventures of Roderick Random opens a window on life, love, and war in the eighteenth century. The hero battles his way from poverty and neglect to make his mark as a doctor, writer, fighter, and lover. His adventures take us across the world, from England and France to the Caribbean, Africa, and Latin America. One of the first truly global novels, it casts light on nearly every aspect of its time--imperialism, gender relations, slavery, urban life, colonial warfare, commerce, politics, the professions, high society, and the Hogarthian underworld.
Complete with illustrations and comprehensive annotations, this is the first edition to include Smollett's long-forgotten antiwar pamphlet, An Account of the Expedition against Carthagene in the West Indies, which was drawn from his own war experience and on which key sections of the novel are based. The editors also provide a detailed biographical and historical introduction, based on the most recent scholarship, mapping the novel's enormous impact in its own time and its influence on the history of literature over the centuries since.
* Beautifully illustrated with images relating to Smollett's life and works
* Concise introductions to the novels and other works
* Images of how the books were first printed, giving your eReader a taste of the original texts
* Excellent formatting of the texts
* The complete novels, including rare works like The History and Adventures of an Atom, first time in digital print
* All of the major novels are fully illustrated with their original artwork
* Includes Smollett's poetry, plays and translations
* Features two biographies, including Sir Walter Scott’s seminal biographical study - explore Smollett's literary life!
* Almost the complete non-fiction works
* Scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
The Adventures of Roderick Random
The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle
The Adventures of Ferdinand Count Fathom
The Life and Adventures of Sir Launcelot Greaves
The History and Adventures of an Atom
The Expedition of Humphry Clinker
Continuation of a Complete History of England: Volume Ii
Travels Through France and Italy
Narrative of the Base and Inhuman Arts That Were Lately Practised Upon the Brain of Habbakkuk Hilding
The Expedition Against Carthagena
Smollett’s Dying Prediction
The Life of Tobias Smollett By George Gillfillan