* introduces readers to the key areas in the study of style through practical exercises
* encourages an interest in and sensitivity to words and structures
* enables students to recognize contrasts within and between texts
* heightens awareness with regards to word choice, meaning, communicative purpose and stylistic convention
* examines an enormous variety of text-types; both literary and non-literary, spoken and written
* in addition to numerous exercises, contains suggestions for project work.