England is in turmoil--torn by fierce and bitter hatreds between Norman and Saxon. Rival claimants to the throne have plunged into bloody civil war. Price John--taking advantage of Richard's absence while fighting in the Crusades--plots to make himself crowned king. Richard returns and vows to take his revenge on John.
But he will need a courageous and able warrior on his side--a warrior like Wilfred of Ivanhoe.
Disinherited by his father, disowned and dishonored, Wilfred allies himself with Richard. In many adventures he will battle knights in deadly tournaments, scale castle walls, be wounded, captured, and rescued by the infamous Robin Hood, and find true love with the fiery Rowena.
In what has become Sir Walter Scott's most beloved and rousing adventure, Wilfred helps Richard I foil John's plot. More importantly, Wilfred of Ivenhoe reclaims his good name.
At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.
* Beautifully illustrated with images relating to Scott’s life and works
* Concise introductions to the novels and other texts
* ALL 26 novels, with individual contents tables
* Rare novels and shorter fiction often missed out of collections
* Images of how the books were first published, giving your eReader a taste of the original texts
* Excellent formatting of the texts
* Famous works such as WAVERLEY, ROB ROY and IVANHOE are fully illustrated with their original artwork
* Special chronological and alphabetical contents tables for the poetry
* Easily locate the poems you want to read
* Includes Scott’s rare poetry collections and plays – available in no other collection
* Includes a wide selection of Scott’s non-fiction – spend hours exploring the author’s varied works
* Special criticism section with essays by writers such as Henry James, Leslie Stephen and Charles Dickens examining Scott's literary achievements
* Features two biographies – discover Scott’s literary life
* Scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
* UPDATED with entirely revised texts, new formatting, rare plays and new introductions
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to browse through our range of exciting titles
THE HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN
THE BRIDE OF LAMMERMOOR
A LEGEND OF MONTROSE
THE FORTUNES OF NIGEL
PEVERIL OF THE PEAK
ST. RONAN’S WELL
THE FAIR MAID OF PERTH
ANNE OF GEIERSTEIN
COUNT ROBERT OF PARIS
The Shorter Fiction
CHRONICLES OF THE CANONGATE
MY AUNT MARGARET’S MIRROR
THE TAPESTRIED CHAMBER
DEATH OF THE LAIRD’S JOCK.
MISCELLANEOUS SHORT PIECES
GOETZ VON BERLICHINGEN
THE DOOM OF DEVORGOIL
THE HOUSE OF ASPEN
The Poetry Collections
TRANSLATIONS AND IMITATIONS FROM GERMAN BALLADS
THE MINSTRELSY OF THE SCOTTISH BORDER
THE LAY OF THE LAST MINSTREL
BALLADS AND LYRICAL PIECES
THE LADY OF THE LAKE
THE VISION OF DON RODERICK
THE BRIDAL OF TRIERMAIN
THE FIELD OF WATERLOO
THE LORD OF THE ISLES
HAROLD THE DAUNTLESS
LIST OF POEMS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER
LIST OF POEMS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
THE LIFE OF JOHN DRYDEN
PAUL’S LETTERS TO HIS KINSFOLK
THE JOURNAL OF SIR WALTER SCOTT
THE LETTERS OF MALACHI MALAGROWTHER
THE LIFE OF NAPOLEON BUONAPARTE
TALES OF A GRANDFATHER
LETTERS ON DEMONOLOGY AND WITCHCRAFT
TRIAL OF DUNCAN TERIG, ALIAS CLERK, AND ALEXANDER BANE MACDONALD
MISCELLANEOUS PROSE WORKS
SIR WALTER SCOTT by William Hazlitt
SIR WALTER SCOTT by Leslie Stephen
THE POEMS OF SIR WALTER SCOTT by Andrew Lang
LETTERS TO DEAD AUTHORS by Andrew Lang
SIR WALTER SCOTT AND THE BORDER MINSTRELSY by Andrew Lang
SIR WALTER SCOTT AS A CRITIC OF LITERATURE by Margaret Ball
SIR WALTER SCOTT: A LECTURE by William Ker
SIR WALTER SCOTT by Henry James
MEMORIES AND PORTRAITS by Robert Louis Stevenson
SCOTT AND HIS PUBLISHERS by Charles Dickens
SIR WALTER SCOTT AND LADY MORGAN by Victor Hugo
SIR WALTER SCOTT by Richard H. Hutton
SIR WALTER SCOTT by George Saintsbury
Please visit www.delphiclassics.com to browse through our range of exciting titles or to purchase this eBook as a Parts Edition of individual eBooks
The other ghost stories in this fine collection are by famous authors. "The Mask of the Red Death," by Edgar Allan Poe; "A Chapter in the History of a Tyrone Family," by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu; "The Spectral Ship," by Wilhelm Hauff; "The Old Maid in the Winding Sheet," by Nathaniel Hawthorne; "The Adventure of the German Student," and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," by Washington Irving; as well as "The Tapestried Chamber," by Sir Walter Scott.
As he has done with a number of other books, Andrew Barger has added his scholarly touch to this collection by including story backgrounds, annotations, author photos and a foreword titled "All Ghosts Are Gray." Buy the book today and be ready to be scared reading the best ghost stories of the first half of the 19th century.
Waverley is considered the first English historical novel, and had enormous success and influence in nineteenth-century literature. Sir Walter Scott has been hailed by fellow authors Goethe, Lord Byron, and Thomas Moore as one of the greatest English writers of all time.
HarperPerennial Classics brings great works of literature to life in digital format, upholding the highest standards in ebook production and celebrating reading in all its forms. Look for more titles in the HarperPerennial Classics collection to build your digital library.