This volume contains a rich selection of Pope's work, including such well-known poems as the title selection — a philosophical meditation on the nature of the universe and man's place in it — and "The Rape of the Lock," a mock-epic of rare charm and skill. Also included are "Ode on Solitude," "The Dying Christian to His Soul," "Elegy to the Memory of an Unfortunate Lady," "An Essay on Criticism," "Epigram Engraved on the Collar of a Dog," "Epistle [IV] to Richard Boyle, Earl of Burlington: Of the Use of Riches," "Epistle to Dr. Arbuthnot; or, Prologue to the Satires" and more.
Taken together, these poems offer an excellent sampling of Pope's imaginative genius and the felicitous blending of word, idea and image that earned him a place among the leading lights of 18th-century literature.
A hideous crime is committed at a fashionable London society gathering. The victim is the beautiful, innocent Belinda, her attacker is the dastardly Baron, and his weapon of choice is a pair of scissors...
Pope's mock-epic is the sharp and witty tale of the most famous bad hair day in the history of literature.
* Beautifully illustrated with images relating to Pope’s life and works
* Concise introductions to the poetry and other works
* Images of how the poetry books were first printed, giving your eReader a taste of the original texts
* Excellent formatting of the poems
* Features all three versions of the major text THE DUNCIAD, appearing for the first time in digital print
* Special chronological and alphabetical contents tables for the poetry
* Easily locate the poems you want to read
* Includes Pope’s rare play
* Features three biographies – discover Pope’s literary life
* Scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
The Poetry Collections
AN ESSAY ON CRITICISM
THE RAPE OF THE LOCK
ELOISA TO ABELARD
THE CURLL MISCELLANIES
POEMS SUGGESTED BY GULLIVER
EPIGRAMS AND EPITAPHS
AN ESSAY ON MAN
LIST OF POEMS IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER
LIST OF POEMS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
THREE HOURS AFTER MARRIAGE by John Gay, Alexander Pope and John Arbuthnot
ALEXANDER POPE by Leslie Stephen
THE AGE OF POPE by John Dennis
BRIEF LIFE OF POPE by Thomas De Quincey
We all need refreshers every now and then. Whether you are a student trying to cram for that big final, or someone just trying to understand a book more, BookCaps can help. We are a small, but growing company, and are adding titles every month.