Traditionally associated with country, folk, and bluegrass music, the banjo is accessible to anyone with the patience and willpower to learn it. This second edition of Banjo For Dummies does the rest of the work for you with updated practice lessons, teaching techniques, and step-by-step examples. With this guide, you will learn tips and techniques for selecting the right instruments and accessories, how to develop correct hand position and posture, and how to tune, care for, and make simple repairs to the instrument. An updated multimedia component features companion audio tracks and complementary video lessons that cement the concepts readers gain during their reading.Written by Bill Evans, an accomplished five-string banjo player, teacher, writer, and historian Includes access to "how-to" videos on Dummies.com Ideal for anyone who wants to learn to play this classic instrument
For musicians hoping to lend their art an edge or interested learners looking to pick up a unique skill, Banjo For Dummies is a must-have, straightforward guide to success.
Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - Complete Book is part of a three-book series. These excellent all-inclusive books teach scales, chords, arpeggios, and cadences at three different levels. The Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - FIRST Book accommodates the learning pace of younger students such as those in Alfred's Basic Piano Course, Level 2. Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - BASIC Book is slightly more in-depth, presenting scales, chords, arpeggios, and cadence studies in all the major and minor keys. Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - COMPLETE book features everything in the BASIC book, plus extra features like a detailed explanation that leads to complete understanding of the fundamentals of major and minor scales, chords, arpeggios, and cadences; a clear explanation of scale degrees; and a guide to fingering the scales and arpeggios.
Everybody loves the sound of a harmonica, and the thought of learning to play one is even more appealing. The instrument's portability, versatility, and affordability make it a great choice for those interested in learning how to produce the unmistakable, signature sound found in many styles of American music. With Harmonica For Dummies, you can learn to master the harmonica faster than you ever thought possible, even if you have little to no playing experience. This easy-to-use resource is filled with tips, tools, and instructions that will have you playing in no time.
In Harmonica For Dummies, you'll find an accessible format designed to help you access new techniques, songs, and styles of playing. Accompanying digital content and interactive tools will help you learn the nuances of playing harmonica and give you the know-how to use this versatile instrument to its fullest potential.Provides you with a high-quality, comprehensive instructional manual Instructs you with detailed instructions and tips to help you learn to play quickly Written in a clear, easy-to-understand format complete with accompanying audio/video content Helps you improve your playing and embrace the many musical styles that have made the harmonica an iconic instrument
The harmonica is a very accessible instrument, but only those with the right instruction and direction will be able to experience the joy of using it for accompaniment and solos. Let Harmonica For Dummies guide you through the learning process and make you a harmonica expert in a flash!
This compact dictionary of over 500 popular chords in their most common voicings feature clare photographs and easy-to-follow diagrams and instructions. The spiral binding allows you to lay the book flat for easy reference while playing. Fingering diagrams for each chord are clearly indicated on a fretboard, and tips on technique are given together with relevant chord sequences.
Whether your musical style favors rock, pop, blues, soul, jazz, funk, counry, or classical, this handy take-anywhere volume puts the techniques for making great guitar music at your fingertips, and sets you on the road to becoming a true chordmaster./div
Bluegrass banjo has never been more popular and is heard today not only in country and folk music, but in jazz, rock and country styles. Bluegrass Banjo For Dummies provides everything you need to know to play just about any kind of music on the five-string banjo by getting you started with the roll patterns essential to Scruggs style picking. You’ll then add left-hand techniques such as slides, hammer-ons and pull-offs, play great sounding licks and perform classic tunes like “Cripple Creek” and “Old Joe Clark.” You’ll navigate up the neck on the instrument as well as learn the essential skills you need to play with others in jam sessions and in bands. You’ll even tackle contemporary banjo styles using melodic and single-string scales and picking techniques.Choose a banjo and accessories that are just right for you and your budget. Put on your fingerpicks, find your optimal hand position and start playing with the help of online audio and video. Explore the fingerboard using melodic and single-string playing styles. Accompany others in different keys with roll patterns and chord vamping techniques. Keep your banjo sounding its best with practical and easy set up tips.
Bill Evans is one of the world’s most popular banjo players and teachers, with over forty years of professional experience. In Bluegrass Banjo For Dummies, he shares the tips, secrets and shortcuts that have helped thousands of musicians, including many of today’s top young professionals, to become great banjo players.
***Comes with online access to free audio demonstrating all examples. Hear how each one is played by a teacher, then play along.***
"The is a great book cover to cover! Highly recommended for the advanced beginning guitar player keen to improve their knowledge of modes." - Harry Johnson, Malta MT
Progressive Scales and Modes for Guitar is a complete system for learning any scale, mode or chord - in one easy-to-follow, lesson-by-lesson lead guitar tutorial. Suitable for all ages and all types of guitars including electric guitar and acoustic guitar. Makes it easy to memorize any new sound as well as building a solid visual and aural foundation of both guitar theory and the fretboard to learn to play guitar scales and modes. Basic knowledge of how to read music and playing guitar is required to teach yourself to learn to play guitar from this book.
• How to play electric guitar solos and how to play acoustic guitar solos
• A complete system for learning any guitar scale, mode or chord, based on the five most common chord shapes
• Practical lead guitar theory for how to improvise on guitar including when to use each scale as well as how and why it fits with a particular chord or progression
• All the fundamental techniques of guitar improvisation using alternative scales including pentatonic scales, the blues scale, whole tone scales, diminished scales and all of the guitar modes - Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian
• Lead guitar tips and lead guitar tricks that every player should know when learning guitar
• Shortcuts for how to learn guitar scales fast by getting the most from guitar practice sessions
Contains everything you need to know to learn to play guitar scales and modes today.
• Progressive step-by-step easy guitar lessons written by a professional guitar teacher
• Easy-to-read guitar music, guitar chords and guitar tabs
• Full color photos and diagrams
• 130+ guitar scale exercises, guitar riffs, guitar licks, guitar solos and guitar music examples in jazz guitar and blues guitar styles
• Jam-along progressions for every scale and mode presented in the book
Guitar lessons have never been this easy for anyone who wants to learn how to play the guitar, fast.
With each scale, you get an explanation of the scale and its uses, a fingering on one string, six-string fingerings in all keys in a cycle of 4ths, three-note per string fingerings, and a chord vamp to practice the scale over.
Give your playing a unique edge with exotic scales from all over the world. This easy-to-use book even includes a section on how to practice scales. The Ultimate Guitar Chord & Scale Bible should be part of every guitarists library.
Ukulele in a Day For Dummies:Covers ukulele basics Introduces readers to basic chords and strumming patterns Provides everything needed for readers to play a simple tune or two at the end of the day! Comes with access to 29 audio tracks and a half dozen instructional videos so you can read, hear, and see how to play the uke
Witty ways for putting some fun back into your funny bone!
Japanese Music and Musical Instruments has three main orientations: The history of Japanese music Construction of the instruments Analysis of the music itself.The book covers in a lucidly written text and a wealth of fascinating photographs and drawings the main forms of musical expression. Many readers will find the useful hints on purchasing instruments, records, and books especially valuable, and for those who wish to pursue the matter further there is a selected bibliography and a guide to Tokyo's somewhat hidden world of Japanese music. It will be found an invaluable aid to the understanding and appreciation of an important, but little-known, and fascinating aspect of Japanese culture.
The piano accordion experienced a roller coaster ride of popularity--rise to fame on the airwaves, stage and silver screen, then a deathly decline, followed by a pop culture resurgence. Squeeze This! rolls out a history of the squeezebox with the first book-length study of its fascinating role in twentieth-century American music and culture.
Focusing on key moments of transition, ethnomusicologist and accordion enthusiast Marion Jacobson shows how the instrument came to be celebrated by ethnic musical communities and mainstream fans alike. She also explores the accordion's rebirth in contemporary music, from the parodies of "Weird Al" Yankovic to geek rock legends They Might Be Giants to accordion-wielding superstars like Bruce Springsteen and Sheryl Crow.
Loaded with images of gorgeous instruments, virtuoso performers, and rabid fans, Squeeze This! presents the untold story of America's rich accordion culture.
* Arabian Nights (from Walt Disney’s Aladdin
* Cruella De Vil (from Walt Disney’s 101 Dalmatians)
* (Meet) The Flintstones
* The Imperial March (Darth Vader’s Theme)
* Killing Me Softly with His Song
* Over the Rainbow (from The Wizard of Oz)
* Rhapsody in Blue
* Star Wars (Main Title)
* Summertime (from Porgy and Bess)
* When a Man Loves a Woman
* The Wind Beneath My Wings
***Comes with online access to free drum videos and audio demonstrating all examples. See and hear how each one is played by a teacher, then play along with the backing band. Also includes music score and drum animation for easy music learning.***
"Awesome Drum Learning Book! This one by far is the best one I've found. The layout makes it easy to understand and to absorb the material you're learning. Keeps everything interesting but not so simple that it's boring." - Michael Cadonic, Louisville KY [Amazon]"
Progressive Beginner Drums contains all you need to know to start learning to be a great drummer - in one easy-to-follow, lesson-by-lesson drum tutorial. Suitable for all ages and all types of drum kits. No prior knowledge of how to read music or playing the drums is required to teach yourself to learn to play drums from this book.
• How to play using all the drums and cymbals in the entire drum kit
• How to play drum beats used in popular drum grooves
• All the fundamental drum rudiments and drum techniques including playing accents, ghost notes, paradiddles, side stick and open hi-hat
• Drum theory for learning how to read drum music for beginners
• Drum tips and drum tricks that every player should know when learning drums
• Shortcuts for how to learn drums fast by getting the most from drum practice sessions
Contains everything you need to know to learn to play the drums today.
• Progressive step-by-step easy beginners drum lessons written by a professional drum teacher
• Full color photos and diagrams
• Easy-to-read drum music for beginners
• 133 drum exercises, drum rhythms and drum fills for playing drum beats used in rock drumming, blues drumming, funk drumming, country drumming and jazz drumming
Beginner drum lessons have never been this easy for anyone who wants to learn how to play the drum, fast.
***Comes with online access to free piano videos and audio demonstrating all examples. See and hear how each one is played by a teacher, then play along with the backing band. Also includes music score and piano animation for easy music learning.***
"Okay, I am of a certain age [so] I decided to learn to play the Piano. You can actually play two handed within the first week! ...Get yourself a keyboard and this book! My brain already feels younger." - S. Mason, Austin TX
Progressive Beginner Piano contains all you need to know to start learning to be a great piano player - in one easy-to-follow, lesson-by-lesson piano tutorial. Suitable for all ages and all types of pianos including electric pianos, digital pianos and piano keyboards. No prior knowledge of how to read music or playing the piano is required to teach yourself to learn to play piano from this book.
• How to play piano chords for beginners and piano rhythms
• How to play piano notes and beginner piano scales used in piano melodies
• All the fundamental techniques of piano playing including playing chords and arpeggios with the left hand
• Piano theory for learning how to read piano music for beginners
• Piano tips and piano tricks that every player should know when learning piano
• Shortcuts for how to learn piano fast by getting the most from piano practice sessions
Contains everything you need to know to learn to play the piano today.
• Progressive step-by-step easy piano lessons written by a professional piano teacher
• Full color photos and diagrams
• Easy-to-read piano music for beginners and piano chords for beginners
• Piano chord chart containing formulas and chord diagrams for all important piano chords
• 45 piano exercises including piano chord progressions and popular easy piano music for beginners in rock piano, pop piano, country piano, folk piano, blues piano and classical piano styles
Beginner piano lessons have never been this easy for anyone who wants to learn how to play the piano, fast.
Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - First Book is part of a three-book series. These excellent all-inclusive books teach scales, chords, arpeggios, and cadences at three different levels. The Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - FIRST Book accommodates the learning pace of younger students such as those in Alfred's Basic Piano Course, Level 2. Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - BASIC Book is slightly more in-depth, presenting scales, chords, arpeggios, and cadence studies in all the major and minor keys. Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences - COMPLETE book features everything in the BASIC book, plus extra features like a detailed explanation that leads to complete understanding of the fundamentals of major and minor scales, chords, arpeggios, and cadences; a clear explanation of scale degrees; and a guide to fingering the scales and arpeggios.