'What is the society of London, that I should be tempted, for its sake, to mortify my senses, and compound with such uncleanness as my soul abhors?'
Smollett's savage, boisterously funny lambasting of eighteenth-century British society charts the unfortunate journey of the gout-ridden and irascible squire Matthew Bramble across Britain, who finds himself everywhere surrounded by decadents, pimps, con-men, raucousness and degeneracy - until the arrival of the trusty manservant Humphry Clinker promises to improve his fortunes. Populated with unforgettable grotesques and written with a relish for earthy humour and wordplay, and a ferocious pessimism, Humphry Clinker is Smollett's masterpiece.
The Penguin English Library - 100 editions of the best fiction in English, from the eighteenth century and the very first novels to the beginning of the First World War.
Jeremy Lewis’s introduction examines why Smollett has become an unjustly neglected figure of English literature, and how the time in which he lived became a crucible for his work. This new edition contains notes, a chronology and suggested reading.
* Beautifully illustrated with images relating to Smollett's life and works
* Concise introductions to the novels and other works
* Images of how the books were first printed, giving your eReader a taste of the original texts
* Excellent formatting of the texts
* The complete novels, including rare works like The History and Adventures of an Atom, first time in digital print
* All of the major novels are fully illustrated with their original artwork
* Includes Smollett's poetry, plays and translations
* Features two biographies, including Sir Walter Scott’s seminal biographical study - explore Smollett's literary life!
* Almost the complete non-fiction works
* Scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
The Adventures of Roderick Random
The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle
The Adventures of Ferdinand Count Fathom
The Life and Adventures of Sir Launcelot Greaves
The History and Adventures of an Atom
The Expedition of Humphry Clinker
Continuation of a Complete History of England: Volume Ii
Travels Through France and Italy
Narrative of the Base and Inhuman Arts That Were Lately Practised Upon the Brain of Habbakkuk Hilding
The Expedition Against Carthagena
Smollett’s Dying Prediction
The Life of Tobias Smollett By George Gillfillan
In addition to a critical introduction, this edition provides extensive annotation and appendices with material on Smollett’s correspondence, the book’s reception in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, related travel writing, and Smollett’s infamous satirization as “Smelfungus” in Sterne’s A Sentimental Journey.