In Sara Alm's Designing Clothes with the Flat Pattern Method, sewers learn a technique that opens up myriad possibilities for making one-of-a-kind garments. By using basic pattern blocks called slopers, Alm shows sewers how to design new shapes, style lines, and fashion details--creating patterns for nearly any piece of clothing they want to sew. Take a basic straight skirt pattern, for example, and convert it into any other skirt design. Change the hemline or the basic shape of a skirt from straight to A-line to full swing with multiple gores. Try adjusting the waistline placement or convert it from waistband to waistline-facing. Change the style and placement of the closures. The options are endless once sewers understand the basics of flat-pattern designing, which is explained in the book.
Designing Clothes with the Flat Pattern Method is divided into sections: skirts, tops, and pants. While many of the same principles apply to each garment type, there are different techniques to take into account. As soon as sewers know how to design from these three slopers, that knowledge is easily transferred to designing dresses, shorts, jumpsuits, and outerwear. The principles and techniques taught are also easily transferable to designing children's clothes. By following extensive technique instruction in each of the three categories, twelve different garments are designed from each basic sloper and photographed on models so readers fully understand the process and the end result.
Thanks to Designing Clothes with the Flat Pattern Method, passionate sewers will be as skilled as Project Runway contestants in no time!
Do you dream of finding ways to infuse do-it-yourself projects into every aspect of your life and have fun doing it? From the quirky personality behind the Mr. Kate brand comes a not-so-average DIY lifestyle book that will make your dreams of creating unique how-to projects become reality.
Filled with 50 unique and approachable projects, along with hysterical, unfiltered stories from Mr. Kate’s crazy life, A Hot Glue Gun Mess will show how life can inspire art. Growing up with a high-powered Hollywood father and an oddball, down-to-earth mother, Kate Albrecht had a childhood that was anything but normal. From how her first period influenced her to become an artist to how her friendship with a high-priced hooker encouraged DIY beauty products, Mr. Kate’s stories are weird, wonderful, personal, inspiring, and downright hilarious.
Her love of self-expression inspired Mr. Kate to create her own DIY life and a social media platform to connect with young women everywhere. Her projects involve style, home design, and beauty, including DIY nail art techniques, upcycled projects for your old jeans , and watercolor curtains. You don’t have to be a seamstress, metalsmith, or expert at anything to enjoy these projects, all of which are doable in under two hours and require a minimal number of supplies. Now you, too, can become a DIY diva!
- Before and after pictures illustrating just how contouring makeup can change your face.
- Large, full-color photos showing step-by-step application for lips, cheeks, and eyes.
- Techniques on how to correct features and flaws using makeup.
- Secrets for weather-proofing your makeup.
- Application tutorials for creating the most popular looks, including natural, bridal, smoky, and day-to-night looks.
In this pattern you will see links to seven instructional videos that will explain each section in detail, and help get you through the tricky parts. All you need is less than 200 yards of worsted-weight yarn and size US 5 circular needle with at least a 24″ cord. (A longer cord is even better.)
This pattern is for a worsted-weight anklet sock. We’re using heavier yarn and bigger needles than most knitted socks, so that you can quickly learn and work through the elements of Magic Loop sock knitting. The techniques you learn here will set you up for working with all kinds of other sock patterns.
* Pattern includes links to video tutorial.
Why is it special?
* It's the go-to crochet compendium that combines a step-by-step technique section with 101 projects for crocheters of all levels of ability.
* This comprehensive book takes you through the basics, with useful practice projects to build confidence, before embarking on more adventurous crochet patterns.
* Close-up step-by-step photography and detailed text give you crystal-clear instructions for every crochet stitch.
* A huge variety of projects spans things to wear, items for the home, decorative pieces, and cute gifts. Whether you're looking to crochet oh-so sweet baby booties, amigurumi animals, a granny square bedspread, a one-size-fits-all shopping bag, or a fabulously slouchy hat--you're sure to find something to fit the bill.