March Is Dummies Month
Italy is a perennially popular destination for Americans, with three cities (Florence, Rome, and Venice) among the top ten in Travel & Leisure's 2003 "World's Best Cities" poll. This concise, easy-to-use guide helps travelers and students get up to speed fast on conversational Italian, showcasing the most commonly used words and phrases.
Francesca Romana Onofri is an Italian translator and teacher.
Karen Moller is a writer who has worked on several Italian-language projects for Berlitz.
The Essentials For Dummies Series
Dummies is proud to present our new series, The Essentials For Dummies. Now students who are prepping for exams, preparing to study new material, or who just need a refresher can have a concise, easy-to-understand review guide that covers an entire course by concentrating solely on the most important concepts. From algebra and chemistry to grammar and Spanish, our expert authors focus on the skills students most need to succeed in a subject.
For high school and undergraduate students alike, physics classes are recommended or required courses for a wide variety of majors, and continue to be a challenging and often confusing course.
Physics I For Dummies tracks specifically to an introductory course and, keeping with the traditionally easy-to-follow Dummies style, teaches you the basic principles and formulas in a clear and concise manner, proving that you don't have to be Einstein to understand physics!
- Explains the basic principles in a simple, clear, and entertaining fashion
- New edition includes updated examples and explanations, as well as the newest discoveries in the field
- Contains the newest teaching techniques
If just thinking about the laws of physics makes your head spin, this hands-on, friendly guide gets you out of the black hole and sheds light on this often-intimidating subject.
Stymied by statistics? No fear ? this friendly guide offers clear, practical explanations of statistical ideas, techniques, formulas, and calculations, with lots of examples that show you how these concepts apply to your everyday life.
Statistics For Dummies shows you how to interpret and critique graphs and charts, determine the odds with probability, guesstimate with confidence using confidence intervals, set up and carry out a hypothesis test, compute statistical formulas, and more.
- Tracks to a typical first semester statistics course
- Updated examples resonate with today's students
- Explanations mirror teaching methods and classroom protocol
Packed with practical advice and real-world problems, Statistics For Dummies gives you everything you need to analyze and interpret data for improved classroom or on-the-job performance.
Texas Hold'em For Dummies introduces you to the fundamental concepts and strategies of this wildly popular game. It covers the rules for playing and betting, odds, etiquette, Hold'em lingo, and offers sound advice to avoid mistakes. This handy reference guide gives new and even seasoned players winning strategies and tactics not just for playing the game, but for winning. You'll learn:
- Rules and strategies for limit, no-limit, tournament, and online play
- How to "play" the other players
- The importance of your bankroll—recommended sizes and more
- Hands you should and should not play
- How to camouflage your play and dodge traps
- When, who, and how to bluff
- How to maximize your win with check-raising and trapping
- The different approaches for playing in private games, casinos, card rooms, tournaments, and on the Internet
- How to use mathematics to your advantage
Texas Hold 'Em is a game of both skill and chance. But it's a game that can be beaten, and whether you want to make money, sharpen your game, or just have a good time, Texas Hold 'Em for Dummies will give you the winning edge.
An updated classic covering the latest techniques and trends in crocheting
Are you hooked on the art of crochet? Looking for a fun new hobby that you can take with you virtually anywhere? Crocheting For Dummies, 2nd Edition gives you easy-to-understand instructions on how to choose the right tools, create basic stitches, and finish off your work to make beautiful pieces of art. From learning to create consistency with gauge swatch to decoding crochet patterns, symbols, and diagrams, this easy-to-follow guide is all you need to start creating beautiful designs in no time!
This revised edition contains completely new content, including fresh new patterns, stitches, and techniques reflecting crocheting styles from around the world. Plus, it's packed with new and refreshed photos and line art throughout, along with step-by-step instructions that will easily guide you from your first stitch to your first sweater.
- A new section covering common crocheting mistakes and how to correct them
- Crocheting with eco-awareness: using organic yarns, as well as free trade and sustainably sourced fibers
- The best resources for purchasing supplies, as well as choosing and buying patterns
Whether you're a first-time crocheter or looking to expand your skills, Crocheting For Dummies, 2nd Edition gives you the skills, techniques, and confidence to crochet like a pro.
Want to know more about global history? This concise guide explains in clear detail all the major players and events that have made the world what it is today. Covering the entirety of human history, this comprehensive resource highlights important developments in everything from religion and science to art and war — giving you an understanding of how the 21st-century world came to be.
- Begin to connect with the past — label the eras as you meet the Neanderthals, home in on Homer, raise Atlantis, and preserve Pharaohs
Find strength in numbers — trace the growth from ancient civilizations to today's global community and discover what makes societies succeed or fail
Discover the impact of thought — explore the rise of religion, the roots of philosophy, and the advance of science — and how our feelings and beliefs continually redefined us
Know the global consequences of war — ride with the Greeks and the Romans, arm yourself with the cavalry, dig the trenches, and follow the paths humans took to wage modern war
Meet the movers and shakers — from great leaders and courageous revolutionaries to ruthless tyrants and unsung heroes
Examine significant events of the 21st century — from 9/11 and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars to climate change, Hurricane Katrina, and the economic rise of China, India, and Brazil
Open the book and find:
- A detailed overview of history
The development of the world's religions
Reviews of essential historical documents, from the Bible to the Bill of Rights
The invention of writing and art
Scientific developments that revolutionized the world
Capsule biographies of people who changed history — and a few who were changed by it
Ten unforgettable dates in world history
Sewing For Dummies is a book for both absolute beginners and experienced sewers. If you’re a stone-cold beginner, you’ll find everything you need to know to sew beginning-level projects—and the book doesn’t assume that you’ve ever even picked up a needle and thread before. If you’ve had some experience with sewing, you’ll find tips and tricks that it took author Janice Saunders Maresh, a nationally known sewing and serging instructor, years to pick up! You’ll discover how to:
- Master hand and machine stitches
- Read a sewing pattern
- Hem a variety of fabrics
- Negotiate sleeves and pockets
- Install zippers, buttons, and other fasteners
- Shape garments with tucks and pleats
- Adjust projects for better fit and function
This updated edition features a fresh 8-page color insert of all the new home decorating projects, including new patterns and instructions for a traditional living room with slipcovered couches and throws; a French country dining room with drapes and slipcovered chairs; and a bedroom with shams, duvets, dustruffles, and window treatments, as well as:
- a bathroom with a shower curtain and towels
- hip and funky tote bags
- the perfect little black dress
Complete with lists of quick fix-it tools, sewing fundamentals, and sewing resources, Sewing For Dummies, 2nd Edition, is the fun and easy way® to get the basics and stitch up a storm in no time!
Our hands-on workbook gets you crocheting fashionable, fun designs in a focused, step-by-step manner. You get a review of the basic stitches and stitch combinations, along with a concise appendix containing easy-to-follow instructions for working these stitches. You’ll find plenty of tips on changing colors and adding shape to your projects. Plus, you get full-color photos of every project—from potholders to afghans, belts to table runners, skirts to vests, and much more. You’ll also discover how to:
- Decipher crochet lingo
- Make a gauge swatch, read a pattern, and understand garment sizing
- Work with the most common stitches and stitch patterns
- Crochet in the round or with color
- Shape a design through increasing or decreasing stitches
- Use new techniques like felting and working with wire
- Crochet pictures and words using the filet crochet technique
There are also quick-and-easy designs that are great for kids to make, as well as handy hints on caring for your finished items. Featuring more than 50 fantastic patterns perfect for beginners or those wanting to take their skills to the next level, Crochet Patterns For Dummies is your one-stop guide to crocheting success!
So you want to write a novel? Great! That’s a worthy goal, no matter what your reason. But don’t settle for just writing a novel. Aim high. Write a novel that you intend to sell to a publisher. Writing Fiction for Dummies is a complete guide designed to coach you every step along the path from beginning writer to royalty-earning author. Here are some things you’ll learn in Writing Fiction for Dummies:
- Strategic Planning: Pinpoint where you are on the roadmap to publication; discover what every reader desperately wants from a story; home in on a marketable category; choose from among the four most common creative styles; and learn the self-management methods of professional writers.
- Writing Powerful Fiction: Construct a story world that rings true; create believable, unpredictable characters; build a strong plot with all six layers of complexity of a modern novel; and infuse it all with a strong theme.
- Self-Editing Your Novel: Psychoanalyze your characters to bring them fully to life; edit your story structure from the top down; fix broken scenes; and polish your action and dialogue.
- Finding An Agent and Getting Published: Write a query letter, a synopsis, and a proposal; pitch your work to agents and editors without fear.
Writing Fiction For Dummies takes you from being a writer to being an author. It can happen—if you have the talent and persistence to do what you need to do.
There's no doubt that algebra can be easy to some while extremely challenging to others. If you're vexed by variables, Algebra I For Dummies, 2nd Edition provides the plain-English, easy-to-follow guidance you need to get the right solution every time!
Now with 25% new and revised content, this easy-to-understand reference not only explains algebra in terms you can understand, but it also gives you the necessary tools to solve complex problems with confidence. You'll understand how to factor fearlessly, conquer the quadratic formula, and solve linear equations.
- Includes revised and updated examples and practice problems
- Provides explanations and practical examples that mirror today's teaching methods
- Other titles by Sterling: Algebra II For Dummies and Algebra Workbook For Dummies
Whether you're currently enrolled in a high school or college algebra course or are just looking to brush-up your skills, Algebra I For Dummies, 2nd Edition gives you friendly and comprehensible guidance on this often difficult-to-grasp subject.
Forty-eight percent of U.S. households perform at least some automobile maintenance on their own, with women now accounting for one third of this $34 billion automotive do-it-yourself market. For new or would-be do-it-yourself mechanics, this illustrated how-to guide has long been a must and now it's even better. A complete reorganization now puts relevant repair and maintenance information directly after each automotive system overview, making it much easier to find hands-on fix-it instructions. Author Deanna Sclar has updated systems and repair information throughout, eliminating discussions of carburetors and adding coverage of hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles. She's also revised schedules for tune-ups and oil changes, included driving tips that can save on maintenance and repair costs, and added new advice on troubleshooting problems and determining when to call in a professional mechanic. For anyone who wants to save money on car repairs and maintenance, this book is the place to start.
Deanna Sclar (Long Beach, CA), an acclaimed auto repair expert and consumer advocate, has contributed to the Los Angeles Times and has been interviewed on the Today show, NBC Nightly News, and other television programs.
Raising chickens on a small scale is a popular–and growing–pastime. And Raising Chickens For Dummies provides an up-to-date, thorough introduction to all aspects of caring for chickens, including choosing and purchasing chickens, constructing housing, and proper feeding. Raising Chickens For Dummies provides authoritative, detailed information to make raising chickens for eggs, meat, or backyard entertainment that much easier.
It doesn't take culinary mastery and great recipes to be a great cook. Cooking Basics For Dummies, 4th Edition, appeals to beginners who want to learn the basics of cooking and implement understandable and practical recipes in their everyday cooking experience.. Cooking Basics For Dummies digs you out of microwave dinners and tipping delivery persons and propels you with all the ingredients you need toward becoming a superior home cook. This hands-on guide shows you the fun and easy way to prepare meals all your guests and family members will love, from die-hard vegetarians to the most passionate meat eaters.
- Fun, tasty, and easy recipes the whole family will enjoy for every occasion
- Covers grilling, slow cooking, pressure cooking, roasting, and sautŽing
- Considerations for vegetarians, special diets, and sustainable dishes with flavor and pizzazz
With the help of Cooking Basics For Dummies, you'll be able to handle boiling, poaching, steaming, braising, grilling, and so much more like a master.
This friendly guide shows you how to select the right training method for your dog, based on his unique personality, to reach your desired goals. Whether you want to teach Buddy to sit or master retrieving, you'll get expert training tips and techniques for you and your dog — to ensure a mutually respectful relationship with your four-legged friend.
Concentrate on canines — discover why your dog acts the way she does, understand her nutritional needs, and ready yourself for the task of training your dog
Prep for your pup — prepare your home for your puppy's arrival, discover the importance of socialization, and get started on housetraining
Put your best paw forward — teach basic commands like Sit, Stay, and Down, and get the scoop on how to deal with doggie don'ts like chewing, digging, and excessive barking
Take training to the next level — get involved in organized dog activities and competitions, where you'll both show off impressive tricks like retrieving, figure 8s, and much more
Open the book and find:
Step-by-step instructions for teaching your dog basic commands
Helpful advice on crate training
Safe ways to address aggression and separation anxiety
Tips for teaching Buddy to behave himself around people and other dogs
Techniques to keep your senior dog feeling young
Health issues that can interfere with training
Experts to turn to for training help
Use positive reinforcement as an effective teaching tool
Select the gear you need for training success
Teach the basics including Sit, Stay, and Down
Eliminate unwanted behavior
The job market for those who are bilingual is expanding rapidly. Businesses and government agencies are hiring translators; retailers and advertisers are concentrating more energy in targeting the Spanish-speaking ; and hospitals and agencies are seeking to overcome language barriers.
Whether you’re a student studying Spanish, a traveler gearing up for a trip to a Spanish-speaking country and need to learn the basics, or a upwardly mobile looking to get ahead of the pack in your career by learning a second language, Spanish For Dummies, 2nd edition is your hands-on guide to quickly and painlessly learn Latin American Spanish that includes:
- Expanded coverage of grammar, verb conjugations, and pronunciations
- A refreshed and expanded mini-dictionary complete with even more essential vocabulary, exercises, and more
- A revamped and expanded bonus CD-ROM that includes real-life dialogue to aid in your learning
Whether you’re looking to learn Spanish for use in the home, class, at the office, or on the go, Spanish For Dummies, 2nd edition has you covered!